If anyone can help me... I have chronic neck pain, 2 1/2 yea

If anyone has advice... I have chronic neck pain, 2 1/2 years now from 2 herniated disks. I am very disabled from it. I can't work, maintain my property, etc. I've been to several physical therapists the entire time working my butt off to get better, but here I am still in pain everyday. I've reached the point where I want to quit trying. I want to give up. Continuing the PT makes me want to scream because I'm so tired of it. I hate everything about the exercises, all the appointments I have to go to every week for my neck, I'm so sick of it all. I'm way over my limit of what I can handle in this aspect. I know quitting will only make the pain worse... but I literally want to scream from hating it all so much because it's been so long without a break. Advice anyone? I would appreciate it.

Hi afunk. I'm sorry that you are in such a state. It is very discouraging when you do everything you are told to do and still see no relief. I was in an auto accident in 2005. I had herniated and ruptured discs in my neck and lower back. It took me two and a half years to learn to walk again. The pain was and is still phenomenal. I was in more pain after all the PT than when I stopped. I had two disc surgeries that were unsuccessful. So please believe me when I say I understand your pain and frustration. The first thing I am going to say is going to piss you off... You need to calm down. All the stress and negativity is also having an impact on your pain level. I know it is easier said than done. But please try to calm down and take deep cleansing breaths. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that everything is going to be okay. I'm not a doctor, I don't know your particular situation but I do know that you need a clear head to understand and make decisions about what comes next. FOR ME, I found that the pain subsided to a more manageable level when I stopped PT and began listening to what my body was trying to tell me. I am not advocating that you quit. But perhaps a conversation with your doctor about the benefits of taking a break to allow the body to heal some of the inflammation? Are you taking anything? Muscle relaxants, pain meds? CBD? I have been living with the pain since 2005. I have learned what makes it worse and how to calm the inflammation. These are life injuries but you can learn to manage the pain and become somewhat more functional. Some people get better than others. Two and a half years is a long time to still be this aggravated and miserable. I get afunk, I really do but don't give up on yourself. You have questions? Ask me. I'll do my best to answer them. But for now, try to take deep calming breaths and breath through the pain. In deep and out slow. It gets better, you just have to find what works for you. Obviously what you are doing now (have been doing) isn't it. Talk to me....

2 Hearts

@Daexia Thank you so much for your reply and help. I’m so sorry about your accident, and for the pain you have had for so many more years than me. I’ve tried to be strong this whole time. I never made myself into a victim, or felt sorry for myself because I know people go through much worse things, but I’m broken now. I know you are right about stress. When I get stressed I feel my neck tighten up right away. It’s interesting that your pain level went down after PT. I just spoke to my doctor yesterday and that’s what pushed me over the edge. She wants me to return to a PT I already saw for a year and a half and I’m so sick of it. I’ve been to 7 practitioners of various specialties, and no one helps even though I’m still seeing #7 right now. I was doing better for about a month, but then for no reason the pain came back. During that month I signed up for job training, something I should be able to do although disabled. Now I have so much pain again I don’t know if I can make it through the classes. I shouldn’t be complaining. I never lost my ability to walk… I was unable to sit, but I could walk and stand, which again makes me want to have a more positive attitude because others (like you) have had worse problems. I just started back on Celebrex yesterday. I take a muscle relaxer at night which helps very much and allows me to sleep, I should be grateful for that too. Do you ever feel this bad? Hopeless, angry, frustrated, overwhelmed… and if so, how do you raise your spirits? This job training program is my only lead since my former career was very physical. I used to teach pottery, but I will never be able to do that again.

Have you had an injection? I've read that can help. I know that accupuncture can make a huge difference but it's not for everyone.

1 Heart

@Fohb460, Yes, I have had the injections. I had a series of three shots which helped initially. It wasn’t a long-term solution for me. I had a second set of shots six months later that did not work for me. The results vary by person and level of disc damage or reason for the shots. I also had acupuncture with the same scenario. Initially it helped but again, in my case, the pain returned. They are definitely worth investigating!

@afunk Can u sleep? Sleep helps the body 2 heal. My thought s & prayers R with you.

2 Hearts

@GoodGuy1 Thank goodness I have medicine to sleep now. I spent almost a year with horrific insomnia with this injury. I guess that delayed my healing quite a bit. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I believe they help.

Have you tried anything alternative, like glucosamine?

1 Heart

@Lookn4raysofSunshine I have only tried natural remedies for sleeping, none for pain. I just looked up glucosamine. It sounds like it has potential. I’m going to read more about it and see if it’s a good fit for me. Thank you for mentioning it.

Moringa oil might help. I take a bunch of magnesium and moringa for pain.

2 Hearts

Thank you @ympath. I have magnesium in the house, so I can try that right away. I’ll get some Moringa oil. I appreciate the recommendations.

I'm seeing a Neurosomatic Structural Therapist. She said there's a difference between PT and OT. I've had chronic neck pain for 10 years and am finding relief for the first time.

1 Heart

@ympath Really? I thought I’ve heard of (and tried) every healing modality on Earth, but this is new to me. Thank you for telling me about this. I’ll look into it. Thank you.

@ympath Can I ask what the cause of your neck pain is, if you know why you have it? I have two herniated disks in my neck causing my problems.

@afunk
I wish that I did know exactly. I was in a domestic abuse type of situation where I met the floor with my head, and then the neck pain started six months later. I have no memory of anything that would have caused it otherwise. I had a bad drinking problem at the time and was smoking cigarettes, so I think my healing response may have been disrupted. I suffered with it for about five years, so I think that is what really messed me up. I’ve had a few chiropractors say there is scar tissue and disk herniation. Sadly, I think it’s a result of simply ignoring my own needs for too long. Earlier this year I had a blood clot, and the holistic doc said it may have been from a condition I didn’t know I had called thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS), that causes a whole list of symptoms that describes exactly what I was dealing with. Knowing I have TOS is what lead the chiropractor to refer me to the Neurosomatic Structural Therapy. Releasing those scalene muscles is what I think is finally allowing me to see some progress in my neck! It’s been a journey, and I am sad to say that the only reason I think I’m seeing progress is I’m allowing myself to go into debt for it.