I'm not sure why I have so much trouble trying to sleep. I s

I'm not sure why I have so much trouble trying to sleep. I suppose my best guess is because I broke up with my boyfriend of 7 months back in early September. But I wasn't even sad. He abused me and I decided that I deserve better, and I still don't regret it for a second. So... what the heccckkkkk?!

I'm honestly scared to go about everyday life. I sleep throughout the day, my appetite sucks, I'm more irritable. Not to mention it affects my driving *big time*.... I just got a new job and if I can't get this under control, I'm really scared of what might happen. Especially if I'm working the morning shift. And I can't change my availability just like that since they were counting on me being open to any shift. I drive over 35 minutes to go see my friend sometimes. I seriously almost crashed once.

Caffeine makes me more tired (since caffeine dehydrates you, lol) so I really don't know what else to do. I could take melatonin and I actually might. But the last time I took it I felt really drowsy the next day. Not to mention it's a mild narcotic; your body eventually needs constant increases in dosage to get the same effect.

It's 5:23am and I haven't gotten sleep since 5pm (I took a 2hr nap after staying up all night). 1.5 hours of sleep is the time it takes to enter REM, which is when your body really starts resting and recharging. So I got the bare minimum lol

I'm gonna crash around 6:30 or 7am and then sleep until probably 2 or 3pm, and sequentially stay up all night again. My brain likes to torture me haha xD

2 Hearts

I understand what effects can happen after abuse. Do you think your symptoms could possibly be ptsd from the abuse? Have you ever tried counseling to deal with past trauma? For me, I have problems getting to sleep also. I got analog clock so I have option of turning off phone at night. I read having tv or phone on can be problem to fall asleep. I try watch movie or read book to keep my mind off things and from racing thoughts which keep me up and prevent from sleeping. Have you tried exercise in evening? Exercise even if it’s mild like just walk, yoga, tai chi or stretching can help get you ready for sleep also. If it’s intense exercise could be opposite effect and may want to do that earlier but helps the body regulate. Hope you get more sleep and can relax more!

1 Heart

@Foundlove Doctors and therapists say I have PTSD (from past stuff) so I wouldn’t deny that that’s a possibility. Honestly when I can’t sleep I’m on my laptop until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore xD I have not tried exercise, thanks for the idea! Maybe instrumental music would help? I dunno.

I would go to therapy, but I’ve been in so many hospitals and have had so many therapists. I just don’t see myself gaining anything new. It’ll be basic CBT or DBT stuff which never helped me; I’m only able to help myself. Maybe I could go to one briefly? Just maybe 3-5 sessions and get some “coping tools” (I hate those words) and see if any of them are new to me or seem to help.

Thank you so much! :smiley: