Is GMO food healthy?

i have been reading about genetically modified food, and it makes me nervous on what kind of side effects they can have on our bodies in the future. i just read an article about modifying apples so they don't brown and last longer. is this heatlhy? i think food shouldn't be changed and should stay organic. here's some of the article:

"A Canadian biotechnology company has asked the U.S. to approve a genetically modified apple that won't brown soon after its sliced, saying the improvement could boost sales of apples for snacks, salads and other uses.

U.S. apple growers say it's too soon to know whether they'd be interested in the apple: They need to resolve questions about the apple's quality, the cost of planting and, most importantly, whether people would buy it.

"Genetically modified -- that's a bad word in our industry," said Todd Fryhover, president of the apple commission in Washington state, which produces more than half the U.S. crop.

But Neal Carter, president of the company that developed the apples, said the technology would lower the cost of producing fresh slices, which have become a popular addition to children's lunch boxes, and make apples more popular in salads and other quick meals."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/11/29/usda_asked_to_appr...

victoria

i guess its half a dozen of one and six of the other, i dont think it makes much difference if u eat either product although i do prefer organic myself

but i have high hopes that we will find a way to decrease the food bills and allow us to feed all the starving with each new research so i will wait and see

as always loving thoughts and positive vibes
D :)

true. i get why these types of foods are being made, just curious about what the long term effects will be and if this is healthy for us. who knows.

victoria

i guess it will be many years untill we know if its a good or bad thing look at all the changes in how we should eat now and that was only done by research on previous eating habbits, yet im sure that as we embrace a more sedentary lifestyle that will have to be taken into account alongside our eating habbits

as always

loving thoughts and positive vibes
D :)