I've had social anxiety for as long as I can remember. I thi

I've had social anxiety for as long as I can remember. I think when you're much younger, it's more acceptable (since people dismiss it as you just being "shy" and they assume you'll eventually "grow out of it") whereas when you're older, people expect you to be able communicate and act like a sociable adult. Though, I can't help how I feel. Every time before I head to class, I have to stop in the bathroom for a moment to emotionally prepare myself, or whenever I have to go through the drive thru, I have to pull into the parking lot for a moment to calm myself down and rehearse what I'm going to say. It's really difficult and I always wonder what it's like to be normal.

1 Heart

What helps for me is saying to myself "don't make such a big deal out of everything and just get the job done" Because really, what rewards does being shy or worrying ever give? Nothing right, it's just all about getting the results right, so might as well focus on just getting the job done.

And i think that is also the point with worrying, all these arrows that go in all kinds of nonsensical directions, while you better just have one focusing arrow on getting the job done, then it becomes clear to your mind what needs to be done, and then you can just do it, any worrying energy is just to be redirected to get the job done.

That works for me at least.

1 Heart

From Anxiety & Panic Disorders to Social Anxiety