Low red blood count symtom of Lymphoma

I am new at this but does anyone know if a very low red blood count is a symtom of Lymphoma? I have a very good friend that the doctors think her 29 year old son had Lymphoma. I've never had a bad blood count when i was diagnosed, so I thought maybe someone would know. He has a cough, several enlarged lymphnodes, an enlarged liver, and was admitted to the hospital with a red blood count of about 7.5.

Tammy-
A low red blood cell count generally means anemia; and if you're anemic, it could mean that something is disrupting the creation of red blood cells in the bone marrow. A lymphoma is possible if it has 'bone marrow involvement', meaning the cancer has spread to the bone marrow, in which case the lymphoma is considered by convention to be advanced, or stage IV disease. primary lymphoma of the liver is I guess possible too. Multiple myeloma, which is a bone marrow cancer, and maybe some subtypes of leukemia (chronic lymphocytic leukemia or CLL comes to mind) could also be responsible. In fact, most any cancer could spread to the bone marrow.

But I'm just saying here that it's a possibility. There are probably many other lesser things it could be as well.

Ross

THANKS. I am hoping its something lesser for him.

Tammy-
I'm sorry to hear that, not the outcome anyone was hoping for, but yes, tell him about the Hodgkin's forum here, it's very active, lots of people in treatment right now, as well as many who have finished treatment. We'll provide all the help we can.

Ross

Thanks. Right now i am giving them space untill they grade and stage it. I will call in a few days and see if he may want it.

Tammy