Money Anxiety

Hi everyone my name is Dianne. I have dealt with depression and anxiety for most of my life. My main concern is a problem I have for a long time. I have had a major problem with handling my money. I at one time had problems with conpulsive spending(not anymore, thankfully) and have filed bankruptcy 3 times in my life.
I am terrible with credit and have a horrible credit score. Mainly I am constantly checking and rechecking my bank accounts to make sure I have money in them and constantly worry that I will run out of money before payday. I am currently taking Effexor. I would like to stop worrying so much about this and am hoping that you have some suggestions on how to deal with this. Thanks.

Hi Dimarie, thank you for sharing your story. I understand how it is to have a problem with handling money. I was once the girl who needed a new outfit for every outing and bought new shoes rather than paid bills. I loved the thrill of shopping and it fulfilled me in a very insignificant way. It was an empty and meaningless fulfillment. Then, I would feel like the bell of the ball at events in my new outfits and would over-spend during my weekend outings. The stress that would hit when bill would arrive that were 2 months behind and scrounging for rent money was absolutely awful. But, I continually lived beyond my means and did this all to myself..I had no one to blame but me. Once I started to realize and understand why I was shopping and spending unnecessarily by getting to the root of my unhappiness, then the spending subsided. It took me a while to get to where I am today, but for quite some time I would constantly check my accounts to make sure that I had money there because I was so used to it not being there. This was a hard habit to break. I went from checking in numerous times per day and having severe anxiety over it to mellowing out and checking in now once or twice per week simply to make sure that bills are paid and cash is still there.

It's all about feeling confident about your financial situation regardless of where you are. Don't focus on your past or current position, but what you are working towards. Feel confident that the money is there, and know that it will remain there. Put it out of your mind and train yourself to check fewer and fewer times each week. You will get there successfully!

Wishing you all of the very best and sending you tons of positive energy.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Of course Dianne! Please keep sharing, we are here to support you in any way that we can. Wishing you all of the very best.