My son has just been diagnosed with Juvenile Myclonic epilep

My son has just been diagnosed with Juvenile Myclonic epilepsy and we are all so heartbroken. He is 16 years old. The Doctor has him on 3000 mg. of Kepra and he is still getting seizures at random times of the day. We are so afraid to send him to school because he has had seizures there as well, but the doctor will not allow him to be home schooled . He feels that he should live a "noRMAL LIFE"!! We are at our wits end. We need advice as to what to do. We do not like this doctor. He is very callous . I only have NJ insurance which means I cannot go to any doctors outside of NJ. I heard that John Hopkins had great doctors, but I am not able to see any of them and I am stuck with this doctor that I do not like and I feel that there has to be something else out there that can help him. Can anyone help me and tell me what I should do to help my son. Is there any other treatment that you know of that I can learn about . Please, I need support for my son and my family. Thank you Bobbi

Make sure your child understands as much about his or her disease as possible. Fortunately there are many resources available specifically for children.
Try to get your child to be positive about his or her disease and focus on things he or she can do. Having epilepsy may place some restrictions on your child. But in general, your child should be able to take part in most activities he or she wants to take part in.
Help your child accept being a “different normal” and accept that there will be some risk involved in activities.
As for your other children and the rest of your family, there are things you can do to help them adjust:

Be sure your other children understand about their sibling's illness. If they are feeling neglected, try to spend more time with them.
If you think it's necessary, seek family counseling to help everyone understand how to deal with the illness.
Let your extended family know about your child's illness and answer any questions they may have.
Try to educate everyone on what to do if your child has a seizure. That way, they will not be afraid of witnessing one.