My therapist is saying I have Schizophrenia and I feel horri

My therapist is saying I have Schizophrenia and I feel horrible. No offense but is there any hope for a decent life after this diagnosis? I feel honestly like suicide.

1 Heart

Yes, of course there is! How can we help?

How do I know if h'es right? Maybe my parents told him to say it. And anyway shouldnt there be a second opinion? But if he is right, what am I supposed to do? I guess it has to be a secret. Do you keep it a secret from everyone?

@Mason0704 It is hard to believe the diagnosis at first. I did get about three opinions with my daughter–all were the same. I let my daughter tell who she wants to. We have told a few immediate family members and she told her coach one day because her meds were making her ill. We live in a VERY small town and I am afraid of her being stigmatized, so we have chosen to keep things mostly private for now. This diagnosis doesn’t define you. It can be treated and life can go on. There are many books out there that have helped me get through this and understand the illness better. The Quiet Room and Broken Brain, Fortified Faith are two books that helped immensely. The Quiet Room is an autobiography about a woman who has the illness and is doing fine now. Things will not always be easy, but by sharing your story, you will help others going through it, too. I have found a lot of strength in this group, because I can share the stories with my daughter and let her know that we are not alone. She is 15 BTW, but has been hallucinating for years. With time, the diagnosis won’t be so shocking. However, at this time, we are still attempting to find the right meds to make her hallucinations go away.