My wifes results came back in, and its melanoma. This Thursd

My wifes results came back in, and its melanoma. This Thursday she will have the area scraped out. it is about a quarter inch blemish now so I assume they removal will take about an inch of surface area. Aside from that, I have no idea what to expect. I also am very mixed because in times of disaster I tend to become very calm and relaxed and emotionless. I do not want her to think I have no feelings about this, but I also do not want to add to her hysteria. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My mother has had skin cancer on her nose and has had to have it I guess scraped out.  I believe the protocol is that they send samples to the path lab to make sure it hasn't spread.  I know cancer sounds all these alarm bells, but post surgery there wasn't anything to do besides watch it and follow up.  

1 Heart

I hope everything goes well for her and well, just let her know that you understand how scared she is, but you will be brave for her and just generally there every step of the way.  

1 Heart

Melanoma treatments have come a *long* way in the last decade, and it doesn't sound as though your wife's has had a chance to metastasize yes. Chances are excellent that this will, at worst, be something that involves a visit to the hospital once or twice a year. Take a deep breath and try to just let things unfold for a while.
I had a 50% 5-year survival probability when I was first diagnosed back in 2008, and I haven't had to take any action at all for the last year or two. As far as anyone can tell I'm still alive :-) Hang in there.

2 Hearts

Thanks. She had her procedure and the doctor said there a 95% chance all of it was removed. There is going to be a scar, but we will take it!

2 Hearts

@MarWin that is wonderful news. So happy for you both.

1 Heart

Thanks everyone!