New Member A Lot Of Questions

I am a 49 y.o. gay male partnered with a 36 y.o. male who's been diagnosed with Anxiety attacks for approximately 2-1/2 years. He is on several medications from his Doctor but sleeps ALL the time or does absolutely nothing except sleep, eat and play X-box which he says helps him with his anxiety. He has read alot of info on the internet and he says the above description is typical for someone with his condition and this is he will live out the rest of his life.

We have had many discussions and arguments over this from a standpoint of him using this as an excuse. I am at wits end! I understnad his situation but am trying to find out if this is how the rest of OUR lives are gonna be. We do absolutely nothing from a social life aspect and I am working 8-10hrs/day to support us, as well as, owning my own business and coming home to do housework.

I don't know what to do or who to talk to this about. Can someone please help me understand?

THANK YOU!

Hi Fronts61, Welcome to SupportGroups.com . The medications may be part of why he sleeps so much. I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. I have had to take antidepressants with help for it before but I have not had to stay on them. I have also at times had to see a counselor. But each time I have gotten better and been able to live a normal life and not have to be on meds all of the time but this is not always the case for everyone. I suggest he find a different doctor and get a second opinion. At some point, we do have to get up and help ourselves along with seeing a doctor and getting help. Keep sharing with us. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))

Thank you for your reply!!

Not sure about the Mg he takes of these meds or how many & what/day, but these are what has been prescribed for him. Clonazepam (spelling?), Zoloft and some kind of high-blood pressure medication.

This is the second Doctor he has gone to and I’m not sure he’s doing a good job. Seems like all he’s doing is providing meds and no support of any kind. I have told my partner he needs some type of therapy but refuses, calling it stupid.

He has not worked in 3 years and we have been together for 6. The first three years he was a bartender and now has been saying he cant work because of his attacks. I want to believe him but I hear others on Anxiety meds who are just fine.

We have lost most of our friends because he wont go to see them when we are invited. All we do is stay home and he sleeps and I work. Stayed in all this weekend and watched him sleep while I sat there and cried because of my situation. I feel guilt, depression and beginning to feel anxious myself! I just am so confused by it all!

I signed up just so I could post on this ;) I am a 26 year old bi female with anxiety disorders (several), bipolar disorder, and ADHD. I know what it is to live with severe anxiety. I know what it is to do exactly what he is doing, but at some point he has to pull himself up by his boot straps and get on with life. I second the second opinion plan, it sounds like he needs a new doc, or he's not being honest with his doc. (Please tell me he is being treated by a psych and not a family doctor!) I have crippling anxiety, and with the bipolar issue, I stay medicated all the time. This is not unusual, however the meds themselves do have side effects... sleeping and eating too much are the main ones. Is it possible to private message here? If so, I would be interested in knowing what meds he's on (unless you want to post them on the public board). I may be able to make a suggestion or two. The med that has changed my life as far as anxiety goes is a beta blocker called Propanolol or enderol (not sure about the spelling of the brand name-enderol). Propanolol works to block the physical symptoms of anxiety/panic attacks, such as the racing heart, sweating, ruminating, etc. and also incidentally works on migraines and was originally a blood pressure medication. I love this med, I've had no side effects, only good things.

I’m not sure about private messaging since I am new on here also!

I hope that possibility exists! Will reply back to you shortly. Thank you so much for your reply!!!