New member battling BED

Hi,

I'm a new member to supportgroups.com and have had BED for about 2 & 1/2 years. I'm currently seeing a therapist, but would like some more support to help end my binges. Does anyone have some good advice on how to stop urges to binge?? I've had such a difficult time stopping a binge when I have the urge. I'm trying to pay more attention to my emotions, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it is enough. Please help!

Thanks for listening!

Meghan

Hey sweetie,
I also suffer from BED, and understand your pain that goes along with it. I am also in therapy and am on anti-depressants. For me my binges have become a little like a habit nearly at this stage, they are always on a Monday and Tues...what are the feelings surrouding your binges?

Mine is of rejection...That and I block out my thoughts and feelings with food. I think not having your binge food around helps and exercise really helps. BED carries a lot of mental weight with it, so also unburdening yourself as much as possible of that weight, be it writting it down, taking stones...naming them...shame, guilt, etc squeezing them tightly in your hand and then throwing them away actually really helps. Mediatation is another one aswel. Just allow all that mental weight to come off, you'll feel alot lighter and that want to binge will be furthur away.

Although through therapy you will be working through a whole inner conflict that is actually going on and is making you want to binge...so those little light exercises should really help you.

Love to you hun
Moongal x

Hi Meghan,

Welcome. I understand where you are coming from as I suffer from bed as well. I have been in recovery for a few months now and I found a few things helful for delaying or stopping binges altogether. I took some pieces of printer paper and bright markers and wrote things that would catch my attention and make me think such as be mindfull, slow down, think before you eat among other things that would make me turn to things other than food. I posted the papers wherever I would binge or eat and I keep one in my room, at my eating place and in the bathroom. I have post it notes by my light switches too. So house looks a little funny lol but it works. You should be so proud of yourself for coming on here and for wanting to change. great work and the best of luck. keep sharing. we are all here for you! Nicole :)