New to group

I’m new to the group and have a shopping addiction. I am 61 years old and have been buying unneeded things since my very first job at age 14. i am bipolar , a recovering alcholic and have an eating disorder. I have been in and out of therapy for my mental health issues since the age of 17 and have attended AA and NA since age 36 (1994) and was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder at age 36 1996) I started recovery for my eating disorder 3 years ago and am also working on other mental health issues.
I have always spent money and would not pay all my bills as needed and my dad would bail me out. my store goes on and on and on.
I shop do alot of retail therapy but mostly in thrift store spending $2.00 to $10.00 each visit, but i go 3-5 times a week. I do pay all my bills now, but have nothing left at the end of the month and no savings.
I am on disability and get $1147.00 a month to live on. I scrape to get by because of my excessive spending and I really need help because I am tried of living like this and right now I’m cycling really bad and am also grieving really bad and have bad anxiety and very angry and lots of aggression. The spending a dollar at the thrift store for an article of clothing just makes me fell good at that time, but I have way too much clothes that I will never be able to wear throughout the seasons.

Sorry post is so long, I guess I needed to spill my soul and vent my feelings.

Thank you for reading and I’m glad this group is here.

1 Heart

Hello @juliebjtoccoa

Welcome to the SupportGroups community! We are here to support and help you. Thank you for sharing about your current situation, shopping addiction, and past experience with mental health. You never need to apologize for explaining how you are feeling, especially here on our platform. This is what we are here for! It seems that you are expressing how the shopping is getting worse due to increased levels of anxiety, anger, and aggression. Have you tried seeing a mental health professional specifically for your shopping addiction? That might be the first place to reach out for help regarding spending. This is not forever and things CAN get better. We are here for you. Love, SG