New to this group and new HSV2 diagnosis. Curious how much l

New to this group and new HSV2 diagnosis. Curious how much longer the awful pain and itching is going to last. It’s been 4 weeks. I’m still on antivirals and cannot make it through a day without pain meds. I have severe nerve pain in one leg- in my sacral region and inner thigh along with burning pain on vulvar region. Skin looks clear and completely normal. Thanks for any insight.

@DaisyMae88
Welcome Aboard!
it's hard to pinpoint any timeframe as everyone's body will react differently depending on your immune systems strength!

i'm not sure what Rx you're taking and how strong the prescription is. the nerve pain you're feeling in your leg is a symptom of "Prodrome Period". your body is very unfamiliar with the new intruder and is desperately trying to figure it out.

consult your MD and perhaps ask for a stronger dosage of Valtrex or Acyclovir.

@a_survivor thank you. I’ve been taking Valtrex 1gm twice a day for 4 weeks and don’t feel it’s done much. As I understand, the nerve pain should Go away completely. I just it’s sooner rather than later. It’s actually worse pain than when I had shingles a couple of years ago. I don’t feel like my body is fighting it off well. I do go back to my doctor tomorrow.

P/S: i have deleted your duplicate post...

Thank you for all of the resources. I have been “fired” by my OB/Gyn as she can no longer help with my symptoms. I’ve been on high dose Valtrex for five weeks now, still have pain and itching, still have severe nerve pain in my sacral region. Took a burst of steroids for six days which only helped the first two days. I’m exhausted and cranky from the pain which is interfering with my work as well as relationships and wondering if anyone else has suffered this bad or this long, and when will it finally end?. I still have the end of lesions that are clearing but still not 100% gone. I have itching in my rectal area, which the doctor said is referred nerve pain, no lesions. This is horrible and am hoping to get to the other side and prevent this from ever returning again. I wouldn’t wish this pain on anyone, other than the a$$ of a guy who gave it to me.

@DaisyMae88
have you tried a 2nd opinion? planned parenthood sees HSV cases often and may see something else going on!

Valtrex for five weeks is pretty long. generally they’ll shift to Acyclovir or Famvir is the Valtrex does not work.

see another opinion.

I’ve been to 3 different providers so far

@DaisyMae88
what are the chances YOU are Triggering it?
something you’re doing or eating may be a serious Trigger.

stress, certain foods, excessive sun, etc.

Well it’s close to zero so no sun on my vagina. I’m taking 3g lysine daily and avoiding high arginine foods. I am still trying to get over the primary infection, going on week #6 of symptoms. I have severe prolonged nerve pain so yeah I’m probably stressed, no way around that.

i remember being out on a boat on the ocean. excessive exposure to the sun would cause my OB's. track your food source as well! true high arginine foods are not helpful, but alcohol, chocolates, etc can effect the body. everyone's body will react differently. you gotta put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and figure out the mysetery.

I track 100% of my food and it’s not a BO.. it’s the first infection I’ve ever had and it won’t go away after 5-6 weeks despite doing everything “right”. There is nothing new I’ve triggered. I’m really wondering if I’ve been misdiagnosed.

Now that's always a possibility, but if all the doctors that you've been to all say the same thing, can all of them truly be wrong??

It won't hurt to be retested. Physically seeing the blisters is pretty much accurate. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are...

what is the doctor recommending for your prolonged OB? I'm trying to remember if I've ever had an OB for six weeks. I have had reoccurring OBs back to back where the OB reappears directly after I thought it was going away.

@a_survivor I’ve gotten nowhere other than an extra week of Valtrex despite seeing five different providers. I’m at a loss and just consider this daily intense pain a part of normal life. Ibuprofen stops the pain enough that I no longer want to die. This is by far the worst pain I’ve ever been in and I’m so incredibly frustrated with the poor healthcare I’ve received while every provider passes the buck. I’m hoping for a neurology referral as my sacral nerve bundle is on fire, inflamed and swollen and seriously no doctor I’ve seen has any compassion nor seems to care my vag, butt, and tailbone all hurt severely after SIX weeks and I’m not healing. I got over shingles in less time than this.