New to this

Hi all,
Thought I'd try this out and see what it's like. A little about myself- I'm a 30 year old female, have been struggling with panic attacks, generalized anxiety, and depression for about 7 years or so now. There were a string of crazy things that happened and I kinda lost it and never got it back, so to say! Anyways, the way I seem to deal with my anxiety is to drink or eat or shop or whatever, just to overcome that feeling. Mostly its' drinking. I binge drink and then feel even more anxious than ever. And with eating, I'm currently about 150 pounds overweight and I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea, which only increases the anxiety that I have and then I do the most unhealthy things to escape it! I feel like a hamster on a wheel and I can't seem to get off. I've been seeing a doctor and a psych. Doctor doesn't say much besides lose weight and psych wants to try me on new drugs and to tell the truth I've had it with trying new drugs and all the crazy side effects. And I've tried to start an exercise regime but I never seem to stick with it long enough to see any results, or else I just get depressed and stop giving a ****! I was just wondering if any of you have any advice on where to start. Cause right now I'm just so overwhelmed at all the things that need fixed in my life! Thanks for reading.

I know how you feel. I have had panic disorder with panic attacks and anxiety for 5 years. I've tried alot of different drugs with horrible side effects and I am also over weight. I have recently found a great psychiatrist, but my meds still have wierd side effects so i had to be on another med so i wont have those side effects. As far as losing weigh goes, have you ever tried counting calories? Thats what im doing and it seems to be working. Just take the number you want to weigh, for example I want to weigh 130 and add a zero. 1300, and eat that many calories. Then I walk on the tredmill for 30 minutes twice a day. It helps! I hope this helped you!

Try sparkpeople.com . It is a great site for a healthy lifestyle.

I know the meds sux but they will help. They really do.

I too have tried almost every pill out there. I just have hope that one day the doc will find a regiment that helps more than what I have now. The side affects sux!

Besides, the meds that the doctors prescribe will be much better for you. The binge drinking and everything else you are doing to self medicate is much worse. Trust me ... the side affects are much better than what you will do to yourself in the long run.

And, if the side affects are too much for you, then tell your doctor. You don't have to take what they tell you to take. There are options and other drugs out there that might be better for you. You need to be your own advocate during this process.

As for losing weight and the other self medicating practices: Take it one day at a time. Just try to not do something that is self destructive and do something positive. You will have to find that inner strength to do this. Even when you do not want to .... just DO IT. You do have it within you!

I soooo know what you are going through. You are not alone.

For weight loss: Count calories and get involved with exercise. Force yourself. It's a fight in the beginning and when you get depressed. However, it gets much easier as time goes by. :)

Try: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to find out what you need to do daily to lose weight.