Normal life

If anyone has some suggestions on what a "normal" life, without alcohol, would be, I'd really appreciate a little help. I grew up with parents who did nothing other than drink when at home. Then from the age of 15, I've done nothing other than drink for "fun". I have no idea what activities can keep me busy. I have very young kids, all under 5, no money, and no family or friends anymore.

Hi aloneagain, I highly suggest finding an AA meeting http://www.aa.org/ in your area. It doesn't cost anything to go to one. There you will find people who have been where you are at, who understand and can give you face to face support. I don't know what a normal life is myself without alcohol involved in some manner. I, myself, am in recovery from alcohol and drug addictions. My father drank. My step-father drank. There are family members who live at my home who drink. I do know from experience that living with others who drink can be worrisome, fearful and hell on earth. I live life one day at a time. I work on what I can bring to the table so to speak.

Keep sharing with us. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))

I wish I could help you , I just joined today.

Hi ann cuvala, Welcome to SupportGroups.com. How are you doing today? Do you have a problem with alcohol? Are you the loved one of an alcoholic/addict? Please share wit us and let us know how we may help you. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))

Hi! Thanks for responding. I’m not doing so well. I’m afraid, embarassed and ashamed. I’m going to attend an AA group this week, If I think I can do it without crying…which is probably not possble.

Welcome to the board! AA taught me how to live my life again without having to get loaded. Give them a shot. You'll be surrounded with happy sober people who want nothing more than to help you. If you're afraid to go because people will see you, think about this: did yup give that a thought when you were drinking and making an *** out of yourself? God forbid people see you getting help, right?
Hang in there; there IS hope.

The rooms of AA were the last thing I tried and the first thing that worked. I haven't been hungover or dope sick in two and a half years.

Keep posting.

Hi (Normal) I started my life of addiction with alcohol. Like you my memorys of extended family fuctions were all with booz being at the center. Get in touch with your local A.A group, even if by phone, you will be surprised at members willingsness to assist you getting to a meeting. Normal for me is living clean and happy. I enjoy life, one day at a time. Give "normal" a try.

i have7 months sober and my view on life is so different, i look back over 20 years of raising children and trying to be a good human being and thinking i was happy. real happiness is from inside and just being ok. i am struggling to put my relationships back together, my children and my husband who left me for a year for another woman. i was one month sober and he came back, our relationship is wonderful, he is so caring and kind but i feel such guilt at what i put everyone through. my kids are being wonderful their 15 and 17, sometimes i feel i don't deserve them. i just saw my daughter graduate from h.s. i was sober and feeling good but crying alot. i go to aa meetings 6 days a week and it is wonderful, the help i get. their is always someone new in the meetings and helping them is a joy. please go to meetings and don't be afraid to call people i know how hard it is to ask for help but without it i don't know where i would be today. i am praying for everyone still out there.

Hi lolo 55 Just think how proud your dauther was of you.

Hi lolo 55, Congratulations on 7 months! I heard in AA that it's an inside job. It's amazing and a miracle how our lives change once we are sober and clean. I am blessed to have been able to get sober and clean and stay that way and see my kids growing up. I wouldn't trade those years for anything. Keep taking it one day at a time. Keep sharing with us. ((((hugs))))

Your stories overwhelm me. I hope one day I can share a happy story. God bless you all.

Good Morning Ann; When we work on our weaknesses, we never develop our strengths. The creator brought you into this group so that you could help us and in turn be helped. Have a great day, unless you decide not to. BOB.

No need in being embarrassed or shamed because you're getting help. Think of all the times we made idiots of ourselves in public without a care in the world when we were active. Leave your ego at the door and go get help, Ann. You'll meet lots of positive sober people who want nothing more than to help you. Know this: it ONLY works if you work it. Get a sponsor, work the steps and then pay it forward to the next person who like you is scared poopless and doesn't know where to go. Try 90 meetings in 90 days; you'll defiantly hear your story eventually. It's about identifying, not comparing.
We have faith in you.