Obama spoke out about Bullying and Gay Youth Suicides

President Obama spoke out on school bullying and gay youth suicides, which I wanted to share with you. It is so tragic that anyone has to ever suffer from bullying, let alone take their own life, though I am hoping that by continuing bringing light to this topic it will help to eliminate bullying on the whole.

"In a recorded video address posted Thursday night on the White House blog, President Obama spoke to the recent suicides of several gay youth, victims of peer harassment and bullying. Saying the deaths "shocked and saddened" him and that teen suicide "breaks my heart," the president called upon all Americans to be more vigilant about such matters. "We have got to dispel this myth that bullying is just a normal right of passage, that it's some inevitable part of growing up," he said. "It's not."

To teens still coping with the struggle of sexual identity at home and at school, Obama recalled his own experience as an adolescent. "I do know what it's like to grow up feeling like sometimes you don't belong. It's tough." And he offered a message of hope: "You are not alone. You didn't do anything wrong. You didn't do anything to deserve being bullied. And there is a whole world waiting for you, full of possibilities." He added, "There are people out there who love you and care about you, just the way you are. . . . You've got to reach out to people you trust....'"

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/10/22/obama-addresses-gay-youth-suicides-school-bullying/
        Source: Politics Daily, by Alex Wagner

yes it's really sad! I know in my school there is a huge gay population (in fact most of the guys are gay!) and it's fine but that's just the school and it's NYC and near the village lol but in other places it's a lot harder for gay students especially in HS where they live at home in areas where it's not accepted and go to school in religious areas or where people don't know much about and don't accept homosexuality. It's horrible that someone should have to take their own life jsut because of who they are attracted to! Yes bullying happens. It's just how it is. some of it is normal but some of it is just cruel and goes beyond the level of "kids will be kids" ad "normal bullying." There are some sociopathic kids out there that torment other kids where it's not just ok that kid is chubby hahaha it's like ohh I don't like her let's cut her hair and cruel acts. When it gets to that point it's riddiculous. something should be done in the early stages of bullying to prevent it from escallating to the point where people get hurt b/c of psysical/emotional/mental abuse or they decide to take their own life!

Rose, that is so incredibly well said/written. You really hit on all of the key points. I find it to be so incredibly tragic. We should be free to love who we want to love, and marry who we want to marry. We shouldn't be judged, and we shouldn't be shunned for loving someone; regardless of gender.

yes I agree! love is love! why should we hate someone for Loving someone?! Isn’t that crazy?!

Sing it loud and proud Rose! Sing it loud and proud! We should all be singing it loud and proud :-)

lol I’m sure there are people out there that would probably (literally) shoot me down if I sung it out loud lol I can’t believe there could be so much hate in this world. Some people treat it as a disease because they are affraid of their own desires like “ohh my can’t get too close cuz it might be contagious” or other stupid things SMH SERIOUSLY!! I know gay love doesn’t produce children but it’s still just as heart felt as “straight love” whatever that may be… plus there are gay couples out there that when they’re comitted they last longer than some straight marriages soooooo…YEAH! I say let people do what they want to do. as long as it doesn’t hurt anybody let them do it. If you don’t like it then don’t participate in it! just saying…

I know! It's so incredibly sad. I feel blessed a billion times over that I love all people, I love and support their choices.

glad to hear that! I wish more people were like you. It’d make it easier for people to explore what they like and easier to come out instead of having to hide in the proverbial “closet.” I mean gay people have to “come out” but straight people don’t lol gay people have to come out and say “I’m gay” or “I’m a lesbian” but straight people don’t have to go and say “I’m straight” so it adds even more pressue because they have to declare themselves as something different from the “normal” whatever that is…

Such a brilliant point! I hope that there's a day very very soon, where everyone lives their life openly and happily regardless of gender preference. There will no longer be a coming out of the closet, everyone will just be out and living happily.

I hope that day come soon! It bothers me that so many people are sufferring without having done anything wrong!

Thanks to everyone supporting us bullied youth out there one person could mean life or death to most of us. This website has helped me out a lot and it could help others to

Hey Mici. I read your one of you other posts and I’m so sorry that your parents don’t support you. It’s horrible. How long has it been since you told them? Maybe they just need time to get used to the idea? They didn’t throw you out or anything so they can’t be too upset. Hopefully with time they will understand and can accept you. =) Are you in a HS/college where there is a gay community and other people you can hang out with?

Thanks for your wonderful words Mici, I am so thrilled to hear that this Site has helped you so much. I love it here because there is so much compassion and no judgement. That's what this world should be about, but very unfortunately it's not. I wish that we could apply the love and support here to the rest of the world :-)

Rose
I've told them when I was in sixth grade and they have pushed it back in my face ever since. I'm in a high school and there is no one really for me to talk to.

what do you mean “they push it back in your face”? So people in your HS know that you’re bi? And I’m assuming they aren’t very nice? I can assure you that not everyone has a problem with homosexuality. It might just be the area you live in! In college, when you get there, you’ll be able to be more open and have people like you regardless of sexuality! Just research and go to a school with LGBT programs. some colleges have a much more openly gay community. Go to a school in a city area vs. suburban because certain cities tend to be more liberal and there are lots of people that come out in college. You’ll have a lot more friends once you get out of your HS. I’m sure there are other people in your HS struggling with the same issues. There are people who will love and accept you. I know it might not feel that way at the moment but it’s just because you haven’t met them yet =) In the years to come you will meet lots of great people. I’m sorry you’ve had to go through so much in your life at such a young age and on top of it all to not have your parents back you up hurts but you have your bf and I’m sure you’ll make new friends! hopefully with time your family will come to understand!

puppy,
I know what you mean we should not judge one another, but some people hold themselves up on a pedistal

Mici, we are here to "listen" to you, please know that you are not alone.

Rose,
When I said push it back in my face I ment they bring it up all the time now I don't mind any more it's not such a big deal as it was back then.

Puppy,
I know and I am truley gratefull

but really if they talk about it and say ohh you're bi I mean they aren't saying anything that's not true you're bi and that's just who you are. You can only be yourself and they have to learn to accept you! they aren't as supportive but at least they didn't kick you out meaning that they are probably working at it but it is jsut comething they don't understand and are confused. But they still have you there so they do love you and want you it's jsut a matter of them learning how to treat you and understanding that the way they act hurts you. They do love you though. Stay strong. Things will change in the future <3 We care about you here so keep posting =)