Prednisone alone vs CHOP

Hello...I am new here and this is my first post...if I can ever figure out how to do it!

I am a 46yo female diagnosed with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma on 4/5/10. My treatment thus far has consisted of Prednisone alone. At 60 mg/d I experienced a 60% reduction in tumor burden which my oncologist said was "remarkable" but she dose reduced me to 40 mg/d and the results since have been only moderate. When I asked why we dose reduced to 40 mg/d she said, "The dose reduction from 60 to 40 is not expected to make major difference in response." Clearly I had a marked difference in response between the 60 and 40 mg doses so I'm not exactly certain what she's talking about.

At any rate, now she wants to move to CHOP and I'm feeling a bit ambivalent since it doesn't seem we fully investigated Prednisone at the appropriate dose. I'm wondering if I should make a bigger stink about revisiting Prednisone at 60 mgs or if I should just listen to the doc and go to CHOP. I must achieve Complete Remission one way or another before I can have the stem cell transplant at Stanford but if I can save myself the ravages of chemo (by going Prednisone alone to get to CR) that would obviously be preferable.

On the other hand, my tumor burden is high (according to one doc the nodes are impressive) and I think they may have missed the diagnosis to begin with soooo... perhaps I should just get aggressive and do the chemo. Whatever it takes to beat this thing I will do and the quandry about Prednisone may just be pussy-footing around.

Any suggestions, stories, experiences...? All feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you!! :o)

hello, I TOO AM NEW TO THIS SITE WROTE ONCE I WAS TOLD IN FEB 12 OF THIS YEAR IHAD B CELL LYMPHOMA HAD BIOPSY IN FEB THEN TO THE MAYO IN MINNESOTA WHERE I HAVE BEEN GIVEN CHOP SINCE MARCH. THIS IS NOW GOING TO BE MY FIFTH CHEMO ON JUNE 30 WITH HIGH RATE OF PREDNISONE OF 190MG EACH CHEMO. I HAVE HAD BONE MARROW BIOPSY AND NOW TOLD CELL TRANSPLANT IS NECESSARY VERY SHORTLY. THE PREDNISONE MAKES ME GAIN WEIGHT SO FAST AND THEN BRINGS ME DOWN QUICK WHEN I AM FINISHED IT, IN FOUR DAY INTERVERALS.I HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU ...TERESA