Question: for those who have gone to therapy for while or in

Question: for those who have gone to therapy for while or in past…. Were you advised to go regularly? Do you feel like helped? Do you feel like it didn’t make much difference? I’ve been to therapy in past and I felt like it helped tremendously. Lately, Wondering am I wasting my time… Am I wasting my money? Has anyone else gone through these thoughts? Did you decide to stop or continue going? I think I haven’t been having good luck finding therapist I can feel comfortable with. Yesterday was the worst session yet as I noticed my therapist tearing up. I started stressing worse after session thinking I hurt her feelings, or I triggered her. I felt like my anxiety worse after. Im wondering if maybe I do better working things out on my own.

1 Heart

Hello: You said yourself that the therapy helps you. Like anything else in life, you can have good and not so good experiences, The therapist has feelings and perhaps her reaction shows how much she cares about you. There are terms called transference and countertransference. Please goggle them if you don't already know what they mean. I think the best thing to do is discuss how you felt about the session with your therapist. It could also be that you have gone as far as you can with your current therapist and need a different therapy orientation. You can also talk with your therapist about that. Probably the best indicator if therapy is worth it is to ask yourself where you would be and how would you be prospering if you never went or when you stopped going. Best wishes to you. May the love of God give you peace that surpasses all understanding.

1 Heart

@docgero thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

And when you think about it, all the logistics behind being a therapist. All the red tape. It’s all about the paperwork. Not the person. I want to get to the meat of it. I like to deal with people one on one. I think you can get the best therapy from people you don’t know very well. They’ll give you honest feedback. In just basic conversations, you can learn stuff. Asking questions. And then if you still need to talk about certain things, really look for the right person. Don’t settle for just anybody..

1 Heart

@LollyNews thanks that makes lot of sense! I’m not sure what tearing up about maybe unrelated to our session altogether. I wasn’t sure to ask if anything wrong or ignore. I tried to ignore as I felt maybe it would make worse if I asked about it. I’m glad at least you found someone who could help you along the way despite all obstacles. I think for now will take a break. I’m going back to my books. I feel like that’s what helped good deal before! I was never good at talking n it’s very difficult for me to open up to anyone. I’ve been dreading appts recently. Little things like therapist running late puts me on edge. My last one before this kept forgetting my appt or something which then triggered me I think. It was nightmare although I do need to do more besides just therapy. I appreciate your feedback!

It helps if you are really in need of it. It is really hard to find a good therapist, I've been in therapy for years. I've been to a psychiatrist with 40+ years and she was really amazing but retired. The social worker I saw was awful, same with a male psychotherapist with loads of experience. I'm now seeing a psychotherapist who is a new graduate but she is empathetic and sweet as can be. It depends on what you're looking for.

Most of the advice I've received is very common sense and almost cliche but if you need someone on your side, it can feel very empowering. I think that's what they are able to do for most people, make people feel that they have control over their life.

2 Hearts

@Wiltedflowerz I’m glad you found someone much better that you connect with! Thanks for support

Hi. Please don't give up. They're good people out there like me. Lol. Trying to keep it light and positive. I do it with humor

2 Hearts

@rinoguy1 thanks! Yes your right, good guys out there too