Question: If you have struggled with mental illness, is it a

Question: If you have struggled with mental illness, is it a bad idea to go into psychology as a career?

Depends on the kind of illness and where you are now. It used to be considered a bad idea, in the profession. But now is more accepted. Might cause you to have trouble setting boundaries. You're there to help heal not empathize

I'm not at all an expert, but I think if you want to help people and are passionate about that as a career that's never a bad thing!

1 Heart

you never know unless you try...don't live by would have should have

If you feel you can help yourself while helping others go for it. If your symptoms are under control, you might be able to help others because you understand them and have been in their shoes. However if your illness is severe or your symptoms aren't yet under control the best thing for you to do is to be around happy healthy people

1 Heart

I think that if you've learned some techniques to overcome mental illness, you'd be a wonderful, empathetic, and helpful therapist. I'd definitely prefer seeing a therapist that's been through tough times themself than one whose life and mood has always been perfect.