Seizures and Bulimia

As expressed on my status I have been having seizures over the last 6 mths or so. At first I thought it was my medication because after going for an MRI and EEG it was determined that I am not epileptic. I am off my anti-depressant (which stopped many other side effects) however these are still occuring. I have many suspisions that its related to my bulimia because it tends to happen after I purge, which makes sense because I am dehydrated and unbalance with my electrolytes. Then I pass out, hit my head and either seize or just wake up confused, disorientated, and a killer headache...plus a wicked bruise on my face and bitten tongue. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before due to their ED. I would really like some reassurance that this can and will stop. Its happened twice where I've been alone and am scared shitless afterwards. So yeah pretty frightening to go through.

1 Heart

Mikki,

Wow... Scary stuff... :0/ I hope you're working with professionals for your ED... This is sooo important...

I found the following on the Something Fishy site... Does your doctor know about your bulimia? :0/

Thinking of you! ♥

Love,

Jen

Seizures - the increased risk of seizures in Anorexic and Bulimic individuals may be caused by dehydration, hyperglycemia or ketoacidosis. It is also possible that lesions on the brain caused by long-term malnutrition and lack of oxygen-carrying cells to the brain may play a role. SOME type of antidepressants can increase the risk of seizure and usually carry a warning against prescribing them to people with Eating Disorders, unless the benefits significantly outweigh the risks.

Your not alone! Seizures after urging are very scary I have had two myself with the same effects. Please get help its not easy. The worst part for me will be telling my fam because they have no idea.

Please get help. I just saw a recent Dr.Phil show that had a girl on who had just one seizure after purging and she is now incapable of doing anything. She is in a wheelchair because she can't walk, her mom has to dress her, feed her, brush her teeth. She has to wear diapers which her mom changes those as well. She is a beautiful young girl and because of this illness she us a "vegetable". I too struggle with an eating disorder and I have no room to talk because right now I'm not getting help and keep saying that this disease won't kill me; it won't happen to me, but it definitely could. It's really scary.