Shopping Addiction & Debt

Hello. I’m new to this and am looking for support. I hide my purchases from the people who love me, so they don’t know I’m struggling. I even try to get my packages in the door before the neighbors see them. I used to return my impulsive purchase and now I don’t. I’ve gone into debt now and am in a debt relief program - a choice that has ruined my credit. The landlord just raised my rent by $90 after me negotiating him down from $215 higher than I’m paying now. With my current credit score I can’t find another apartment that would sign me regardless that I have a job that does pay me well enough to pay the rent. I have never missed a rent payment, but after I pay everything, I have about $200 for gas and groceries until my next paycheck. I’m paid bi-monthly.

I get sad and anxious and immediately look for things to spend my money on. The purchases bring temporary happiness, but it doesn’t last. I need help and cannot do this on my own.

1 Heart

I’m in a similar situation as you are. Just wanted to reach out and say hey. Just starting to go through all the threads and look for people like me as I know we are not alone. I also just started a debt relief program.

1 Heart

I have done one before and they take a long time to build your credit back up. But I have done it and it’s possible. Just doing it again now. Do you shop for anything in particular or just like to spend the money?

@djMcWho @Ryanann Welcome to both of you, first we wanted to share one of our blogs we wrote on Shopping addiction, A Guide to Overcoming Shopping Addiction - #2 by ModeratorSG, if you like this one, please go to our blog section, there are several others on shopping addiction. We are so glad you are here, support is so key to keeping on track and finding a way towards facing this addiction. -SG

1 Heart