So I have been seeing my therapist for about 9 years and I h

So I have been seeing my therapist for about 9 years and I have to start seeing a new one next month. I am not ready to do this and after everything I have been through recently idk if I will be able to open up which might cause some more problems for me. I already feel alone but I have therapy every week that helps me. Once I don't feel like I can trust the new person I will be seeing it's going to be all bottled up because I won't just talk to anyone. This is a very difficult thing for me. I have been so reliant on therapy and going and seeing the same person for so long. It just bothers me so badly that I am getting to old to see her now. Idk what to do to help my feeling towards this but I fear that it's going to get so bad if I have no one to open up to. I have also been emailing her for years and for a about a year now I have been messaging her everyday. Which means I will have to stop that too and it's really been the only thing that has been helping me lately.

1 Heart

I know how difficult it is to change therapists. I'm sure your old one told the new one about you and things that are going on. Try to relax, just think positively about it

I'm trying my best. I'm just worried about it. Took me years to
Open up to her and now that I talk so much it's going to be hard to just stop

@KRM82113 Welcome to SG! You will meet many wonderful people here, fondly called SG friends. The bottom of the page is a FAQ, it will assist you in navigating the site. The top right of this page are numerous groups, also there is a Support Someone icon, familarized yourself with them. You may join as many groups as necessary. There are Depression, Family, and Rape groups. SG friends are here, to support, and be supported. My thoughts, and prayers are with you......

Thank you so much I appreciate it!

1 Heart

I know what you're going through. My therapist got very sick and I had to stop seeing him. He was so so wonderful and I loved him so much. I was devastated for a long time. I did interview 3 therapists who I didn't care for, found a 4th, stuck with her, and she's good. But I still miss him, and cry once in a while. Best of luck to you.

Thank you. I hate being forced to leave.

What is helping you get through it?

What helped me get through it? When I was going through it, I took an anti-anxiety med. I talked to friends/support groups a lot. Cried. Interviewed possible new therapists, who always helped me cry over the loss. Once I found a new therapist I liked, we spent a lot of early sessions talking about the pain I was experiencing with the loss. Lowered my expectations on my functionality. Just like when my mom died, no one expected me to function so well. So, same here. I cut myself slack to not expect a lot of myself. I did not cook much. I read a lot of murder mysteries all day long. I watched a lot of my favorite TV show, "The Sopranos." I tried to remember that my full-time job right now was to "survive this horrendous loss." I tried to remember to allow myself to grieve, and to not judge myself for how long it was taking or how dysfunctional I was. I wrote notes to my old therapist, which I would or would not send, depending on their appropriateness. It was horrible. I tried to remember that it was ok to feel anger. I really feel for what you're going through. It was 2.5 years ago. I'm ok now. I'm off the meds, I'm functioning, I cry sometimes because I miss him, but I'm not dying inside anymore.