Sometimes I find myself thinking, "I can't have this crap in

Sometimes I find myself thinking, "I can't have this crap in my house- so I've got to eat it all"! It's such a self-sabotaging thing, but I did it with two pints of ice cream last week. I love ice cream and if I'm sad or stressed, I say, "just a spoonful", but next thing I know- I'm eating a pint of ice cream in my exercise clothes on the couch and my day is ruined! I need to lose 25 pounds to get back to my pre-Covid lockdown weight and I'm starting to exercise again and eating healthy food everyday- but these occasional candy or ice cream binges make it harder to lose weight and make me sometimes resent having to eat healthy food every day when junk food is so much more fun. I went to cooking school, so I know how to cook really delicious healthy food, but I guess I never grew out of a childhood love for dessert.

2 Hearts

I find smaller containers help. If it isn't in the house, then you can't eat it.

2 Hearts

That's a great idea- I can portion out a single serving or stop buying a pint of ice cream until I can learn to control occasional binge eating. Thank you for your advice!

@MiniMeltdown07 Try that and see if that helps.

I have a huge problem with sweets as well. I think I’m using food, especially sugar to cope with my depression. I have the same mentality where I’ll get groceries and feel like “I have to eat it all right away,” rather than portion it out or simply not buying it in the first place. I desperately want to lose weight too, but any progress is short lived.

1 Heart

@Destiny2020 I also have depression and weight loss is very difficult for me- I’m 25 pounds overweight for my height and frame size and I have been gaining and losing the same 25 pounds every year over and over again. I’m a candy/ice cream binge eater and I’ve recently found that fun-sized Halloween candy is a good way for me to control my sugar portion sizes.
My meal prep tips for dealing with depression: if I’m particularly depressed one day, I portion out my lunch right after I finish eating my breakfast so that I won’t have to make it later in the day. I cook big and cheap cuts of meat for protein for the week and then I buy leafy greens, carrots, tortillas and tomatoes and make different sandwich wraps or salads for my lunches- that helps me in terms of portioning groceries. Weight loss is an up and down journey with lots of twists and turns and the most important thing to do is be kind and patient with ourselves throughout the ups and downs. I hope this support and advice helps.

@Destiny2020 Please do not give up. Take it one day at a time.

1 Heart

@godlovesus
Thank you for your support.