STEM CELL TRANSPLANT who's had one

I posted this a week or so ago, and hadn't really heard anything. I'll be getting a stem cell transplant, using my own stem cells, and high dose chemo? experiences with it anyone?

Hi there, i have had this experience, can i ask are you going into isolation? i went into isolation and they wiped my immune system out and rebuilt it, adding my stem cells.from this i could only eat certain things, which gets repetitive and i felt tired alot. Got to say i never felt in physical pain but just uncomfortable at times. The worse thing for me was losing my hair, at the time I was turning 18, so as you can imagine this was so hard. Have you had your stem cells removed already? One of the hardest things is being confined to a certain space. I have just found out i have relapsed and may have to go through the process again, but i just wanted you to know that, you will be fine, its mainly the bordem that gets to you.

My husband has had two stem cell transplants, both an auto and an allo, in two years. I can speak to your questions, although it is not from a patient perspective. I posted this string on another question, but the info may help you too....

Greg had initially had high dose chemo followed by an auto transplant. Greg's isolation meant that visitors were limited. All visitors had to gown up, with gloves and a mask, and couldn't be around anyone sick at home or work. He was allowed to have a computer, books or whatever he wished for entertainment. Unfortunately, during his auto transplant (in which he received high-dose chemo prior to the transplanted cells), he didn't feel much like reading, surfing the web, or anything else. TV was the only thing he had much energy for, and even then, that was limited. Only after his cells grafted, did he regain any energy back to walk, etc. Food-wise, he was on a low-bacteria diet - which was supplied by the hospital. No fresh fruits, veggies. Everything cooked. He didn't have a big appetite anyway...

The big question that follows.... How do they know if it worked?? In Greg's case, the high dose chemo killed off pretty much all of his tumors. The transplant was mostly to rescue his body and give him an immune system again. Basically, it's watch and wait. There will no doubt be multiple scans (CT and PET) to see if any residual tumors grow (or if they come back). Blood tests will show if the transplant "took", as they will keep a tight check on your white counts. (They will likely bottom out and then ever so slowly climb again.) Greg was in the hospital for 12 days for his auto transplant, most of which he felt pretty terrible. The final 3-4 days was when his immune system just started to grow again, and then grow to a point where he could be released. (Isolation precautions followed at home too-- no plants, our cats had to stay with my mom, low-bacterial diet followed, etc.)

I would be happy to elaborate more if you want - just let me know. We have been through more treatment and are more familiar with transplants and their protocols than I'd like.

I wish you the very best and will send you good thoughts for a successful transplant!

So I see the isolation part and cooked food is still the same. If i went out mask had to be on. vistors had to wear mask and gloves for the 1st 100 days after comming home. Its diffentely a process to go thru

Thanks everyone- the transplant was pretty successful...the toughest part was a had a very bad case of cdiff. BLAHHHHHH...not fun. Put off the transplant by a week. Anyway- it didn't 100% work, but it did help. I had radiation for 4 weeks in Dec., and on Feb 7th I found out I'm in remission :) Beating cancer is a process, but it obviously can be done! ps- I find it interesting that some people had to wear gloves....I just had to wear a mask outside/in public/at the hospital/clinic. I will say that the transplant, and cancer in general, takes a big toll on your immune system. I've had a nasty cold for two weeks, that normally would last about 4 days? Frustrating :/ but of course, better than cancer!

Congrats to remission.

Thank you- you all will get there too!

I have been in Remission for 15 yrs it will be 16 on may 8th of this yr. It was a tuff rd. but all worth it. Just Rest and heal my warrior.

I would just like to say that you are a CHAMP! Take that HODGE! I wish nothing but the best healing wishes for you. Please rest up and take care of yourself.
- Deana