Stigmatized and discriminated as Suboxone patients

Ever get the feeling your not being treated like any of the other patients in the doctors office, especially by the doctor themselves. How about trying to get your script filled at the pharmacy. It doesn't end, even my health insurance provider makes me get pre-certified once a year. I have been on Suboxone for over two years now, the most clean time I ever had in my life, but once a month, I know I'm being treated like a drug addict. You can feel the stigma from the doctors office to the pharmacy. This is the first time I ever joined any support group, or posted anything concerning my personal experiences about being on Suboxone. I am sure I'm not alone when it comes to being stigmatized. I would like to share some of my experiences over the past two years, but first I would like to hear from some of you.

hell yes! splinter......the whole stigmatization, doctor/money situation gets tiring .it took me 1 year and 2 months.....then i quit cold turkey at 8 mg.which was a mistake ---BIG TIME,Do not do that!!. The point i was at though ,i could give a s---t what anybody thought.It was about stopping,and my life.I know about the quitting process,but if your not ready ,its fine. by the way I just joined this to.
Lemme know....i,ll be happy to hear your issues and do what i can.--saxondale

Saxondale thanks for your reply, I’m new to this kinda stuff too,(computer on-line sorta stuff). I agree, when I first got on the suboxone program, I could care less what anyone thought of me, I just wanted to get my life back on track, but now that I have been clean for over 2 1/2 years, you kinda start trying to leave that whole life style behind you, but there is always some jerk that keeps it really fresh and green to you, and they make sure you know that your still an addict, no matter how well your doing in life. Once a month I’m reminded (stigmatized) that I’m an addict. Whether it’s looks from the receptionist at the pharmacy, or pharmacist themselves, like when they have to make you wait longer than everyone else, just so they can call the doctors office to verify your script. You see the way they treat all the other customers in line, until it’s your turn. I wish it was all in my head, but I’m only stating the obvious. This is only the tip of the iceberg, there is so much more. A story I will share later, the story which got me so hot, it became the reason why I joined this support group. I don’t have time right now, but I look forward to sharing it you, and everyone else. Saxondale, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I don’t get much time on the computer, but I look forward to hearing from you again. Remember it’s not them, nothing, I mean nothing, not being stigmatized, or discriminated against can make me go back out and use again, nothing but ME. Hang tuft

Hello ;
I loved reading your posts and totally understand the stigma you both so eloquently referred too. I have been on Suboxone for 27 days . Prior to that I was going to twelve step meetings . I realized quickly the attitude toward suboxone use with the twelve steppers , in particular AA . as far as stigma , It was a nightmare when I was addicted to narcotics .So I really dont care much about what any one thinks . What I have to remember is that there is no way I would have succesfully stayed clean and pain free without suboxone. I know every person is different , every recovery is different. We are all unique individuals , so there is no way that our recovery should be a cookie cutter recovery either . As far as my addiction , for me I am afraid of forgetting the hell of it . I believe that if do I will make the mistake of thinking that I can ever safely take narcotics again. I wish you both well in your recovery , and remeber we are not cookie cutter people !

God Bless !