Thanksgiving

I've always loved Thanksgiving. It was my favorite. All the fun of family and food and company without the pressure of gift giving. This year is different.

My grampy died 2 1/2 years ago from cancer. We've always had holidays at my grandparents' house. Myself, my parents and sister, and my aunt and uncle went over every year until last year. My grandmother just died unexpectedly from cancer 1 month ago; she was only ill for 3 weeks before she passed.

My grandparents' house where I grew up is for sale and already empty. We can't have thanksgiving there, so I've been trying really hard to get everyone over to my parents' house this year. (I'll be 20 in a few weeks and live at home)

I'm having a really hard time with my family members in getting them to cooperate. My aunt decided to call my grandmother's sister and spend thanksgiving with her. They barely know each other, so I assume my aunt is looking for a mother-figure.

My sister is 21 and she threw a hissy fit worthy of a 2 year old last week. She shut off my dad's phone and deleted all of us off facebook. We're not even sure if she's showing up to thanksgiving.

My family is falling apart and acting crazy ever since the funeral. I just want to keep us all together because I feel like I'm losing everything I ever knew.

None of them want anything to do with each other now that my grandparents are dead.

Were we ever really a family?

Sarawr,
I just lost my mother after a three year battle with Pancreatic cancer. It seems like our whole family is falling apart. She was the glue that held everyone together, especially for the holidays. I'm usually the strong one everyone expects me to be able to pick up and move everyone else forward but I can't. When we lose a loved one, we deal with more than the loss of their comfort and touch, we start dealing with life and death, the purpose of why we are here and what we are doing with our lives. We start a soul search, it takes time to deal with it all. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this at all let alone the holidays but don't give up on your family, everyone is dealing with the pain of the loss in their own way and the happy holidays aren't so happy for those who are grieving.

Hi sarawr, Welcome to SupportGroups.com . I agree with PhoenixRising, don't give up on your family. It is hard to lose someone. Everyone deals with it in their own way. The first year is especially difficult with getting through the firsts. The first Thanksgiving, the first Christmas, etc. My dad died on Christmas day when I was 8 years old. It was very hard for my mom and me. This Christmas that will have been 41 years ago. We always remember but in remembering I always remember that my dad would want me to be happy so I work on being happy. Get together with those that you can for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Keep letting us know how you are doing. We are here for you. ((((hugs))))