Therapy what I've learned thus far

While allowing my mind to wander and feeling again like my ED was still winning because the binging is still not totally but slightly out of control.

I went to visit my therapist worried that I was never going to progress and get "fixed". But while talking through the session I managed to realise that I was actually fixing myself.

1. I had admitted to my ex that he had hurt and humilated me, and in being honest with him I was being honest with myself and started to let go of that great weight that was on me.

2. I had started to put up boundaries, what I can give and what I can't give, and much of the "guilt" that was on me was rising away.

3. I wasn't so fixated on exercise and weight, but more on what do I want in life.

4. I've started to really ask the question and "check-in" with myself and say "how do I feel about that?" ...a thing I found impossible before.

So I guess when it comes to therapy it is a road, and it's not a quick fix. And overcoming an ED is a lifetime change and I really begining to look at it that way. It's not about it controlling me or me controlling it, it's about me letting it go...

And if anyone out there questions their progress with therapy, think back on the day you started and see how far you've come.

Love to everyone out there fighting their own battles.
Moongal x

Moongal,

That is so great that you realized how you are progressing :) It gives me definite hope that I too will one day will realize these things as well.

allee

Wow Moongal, what an incredibly enlightening and insightful post. I am so proud of you and all of the progress that you have made; your continued strength and positivity amazes me. The fact that you realize that therapy is a road and by looking back on where you started, really shows how far you have come. Taking these continued steps forward and taking it one day at a time is the way to go for long-term health, well-being and happiness. I know that you are already well on your way to getting there....you are getting closer and closer and closer to overcoming this. I am so very proud of you.

Thanks Puppy for your very kind words.

And Allee...ya i had this vague idea in my head that I would get all this understanding of myself, positive energy from that and I'd be on this great diet and everything would be happy happy!

But it's not about that, sure it is about understanding yourself and where your feelings are coming from. There are some days that aren't good and some days that are. But the good days are worth holding on to. And the bad days are all about figuring out...what am I feeling, why am I feeling like this?
And as my therapist says you have to "check-in" with yourself.

You see we have gotten into habits of maybe letting others come first. Putting ourselves down, etc. So when we do this check in and be aware of what you are doing. Because therapy is all about focussing on you, not just in session but in life...and it's not in a selfish way hun, it's just to say am i ok with this? and really answer that question be aware of how you are feeling...all along the way.

It really is in essence about rebuilding your building stripping away everything, revealing the mess and chaos and building a stronger person.

And I would absolutely encourage anyone is half-way considering therapy to absolutely do it. It's thanks to supportgroups that I am and it's fantastic:)

So keeping "checking in" with yourselves guys:)

Love to you
Moongal x

That's such an important point/lesson for all of us Moongal; "...it is about understanding yourself and where your feelings are coming from. There are some days that aren't good and some days that are. But the good days are worth holding on to. And the bad days are all about figuring out...what am I feeling, why am I feeling like this?
And as my therapist says you have to "check-in" with yourself." This can really apply to all of us. And, you are so right in that the good days are what should keep us going and the not so great days are ones that we need to stop and assess for a moment, but not allow to rule us.

Please keep this incredible insight coming...you are a Super Star!

hmmm. I never thought of it that way. Why I feel the way I do or even exactly what I am feeling in the first place. And I always put others first- I didn't necessarily know that was a bad thing. I thought it was the right thing to do. I know putting myself down isn't good, but I do that and I know I have to stop that. And that is a great way to view therapy "therapy is all about focussing on you, not just in session but in life"!

I am actually starting therapy shortly. This definitely gave me a comforting insight about therapy in general, so I want to thank you for making it seem less scary.

I must say, I love your positive attitude! Everytime I come on here and someone is so positive in their recovery it just brightens my entire day and makes me so much more happy :)

allee

Ya absolutely puppy,
I think we do need to check and see am i ok with what's going on here, or am i just going with the flow? Because if it doesn't feel right there's something telling you it may not be right.

So do...I urge everyone to keep a check in on themselves

Love to you hun
Moongal x

Such an incredibly important thing to do, we have to check-in with ourselves. Thank you for the reminder. I am usually good about doing so, but somehow life, business, the madness of it all, got the better of me and I forgot to stop and do so. You are such a blessing here, thank you for bringing such a positive light and being so incredibly supportive. You are the best!