UNOFFICIAL SURVEY or opinions/experiences welcomed. For d

UNOFFICIAL SURVEY or opinions/experiences welcomed.

For decades it's been said to get an education, further your education, knowledge is power & blah blah blah. I've realized (not just from my experiences but from testimonies of others that it's not what you know but who you know.

After college I search and searched for a job but to no avail; a few interviews here & there. Then, I was granted another interview w/ the connections of a former co-worker who just happened to work at that firm. I got the job. That was about 15 years ago.

Then recently I've been searching & searching for a job; a few interviews here & there. Nothing successful. Recently, I got a job due to a cousin working there. I didn't stay very long because I didn't think it was the right field for me; regardless, I was hired.

Now I just got another job due to my sister knowing the employer.

Please tell me, ANYONE, does this 'who you know' exists in other parts of the globe? I'm starting to think that knowledge isn't power (well, to a large extent it is), but seems like being in the clique of 'who's who', can get you very far.

1 Heart

I'm in California and I've been working at a school for four years now, but when I was hired I didn't know anyone! Not to mention that I was severely UNDER qualified, but somehow still managed to get the job. My boss said it was my confidence and the fact that I gave off a very wonderful aura. I think it's possible for you to get a job that is not just through connections!

2 Hearts

@Rebeccabexx Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think you answered your own question. Isn't "knowing people"...knowing individual persons less so, more knowing what moves people and how to plug yourself into society. Isn't THAT also knowledge? or better...wisdom. Until this generation a major part of socialization was joining groups/clubs/societies. The relationships forged in life are there to help you find your way. It really isn't random. I am still friends with fellows I met in Cub Scouts over 50 years ago. My best friends I know from Church and the Masonic Lodge.
I'm afraid that we spend so much time plugging in to electronic things that we forget to plug in to life.

2 Hearts

@IronJohn Thanks for sharing. Definitely food for thought & interesting to raise the question AGAIN…does it really pay off to go to college?

I have a new friend who told me there was a position available at a company where her friend worked. However, a Bachelor’s Degree was a requirement. Regardless, her friend recommended my friend and they hired her. My friend said, prior to that job offer, she made plans to go to college somewhere in Germany. But since she got a great job without a degree, of course she didn’t go to Germany anymore. She said they paid her well enough for her to build a house. Hmm…and knowledge is power?

This world is CRAZY. Anyways, I’ve read several articles that says college was designed by ‘the rich man’; go to college, spend thousands for a degree in order to get a good job and then you have to pay back thousands in student loans if you got one. In addition, from my observation, 1 or 2 generations before me never went to college; they were trained on the job (in house) and did very well. Interesting system.

Here in the USA, it has always been 'not what you know', but 'who you know.'
I experienced this first hand. Like you, when I finished college I could not get a decent job.
I prayed and prayed, still nothing.
I wanted to leave my menial job I had before finishing college, and was I desperate.
I prayed for a 'connection' to get another job.
God answered that prayer.

Knowledge rightly applied and tempered by experience is wisdom. A diploma is not a guarantee. it implies no warranty as to the fitness (wisdom) of a person for a position or vocation. My grandfather was probably the most intelligent person I have met to date. He was born in Indian Territory which later became the State of Oklahoma, and was raised on a homestead in New Mexico Territory. They lived in a half-soddy in the poorest and most rude circumstances imaginable. As was the custom in those days he finished school at the 4th grade and never received any further general education. He and his older sisters were pressed into service as "printer's devils" in the late teens and early 1920's. He sharpened his reading and composition skills in that trade, and it whetted his appetite for reading and learning. His mother tragically died and the family was scattered. he subsisted by riding the rails and doing any work available...including picking and chopping cotton, working as a Gandy dancer on the railroad in Texas and many other things. no matter what he did, he was always learning. he taught himself electrical principles, power generation, steam power, hydraulics, etc, gaining experience in any industrial application he could find. He became known for his abilities and was enlisted to start-up and put systems online at chemical factories and treatment plants all over the South. He retired from Gulf Oil Company, at Baytown Texas as the industrial processes safety engineer for the plant. He never had a degree...but he was a quick study (autodidactic as my daughter informed me). he hungered for knowledge, educated himself, and through the rightful application of that knowledge he developed wisdom which preceded him in his travels as a reputation for hard work and intuition.
My apologies for the length of this story... his is an illustration that diplomas alone do not confer wisdom. What a piece of paper declares that you posses as a minimum of knowledge is not that important. What you WILL do is the only measure of your value to an employer.