We recently discovered our 18-year-old daughter is bulimic

We recently discovered our 18-year-old daughter is bulimic. It has crushed our world. We are consumed by worry, guilt and fear. Luckily she has agreed to see a therapist. I'm hoping to get some words of wisdom from people her age with an eating disorder and/or parents of children with this disorder. I'm not sure how to navigate the day-to-day with this and seem to be saying the wrong things and feel badly.

1 Heart

Just try to be very supportive to her she has an illness right now and educate yourself on the condition. Going to therapy will help her but it might help you and husband as well. Hang in there stay strong.

I'm 15 years old and can see how the disorder would effect everyone around me if I told them, espacially my parents. When my mum questioned me about it I totally denied it all. How did you find out she was bulimic? My worst fear is my parents finding out and my best friend as it would destroy and effect them just as much as me. I personally find it easier to write in my diary how I feel, my weight at the start and end of the day, what I ate and anything else like that. Maybe she could let her therapist read it or even you to get a better personal understanding. When my mum brings up food I become angry so you've got to know when the time is right which is normally after a meal so I'm not weak and snappy.

1 Heart