When was the last time you looked into your heart?

When was the last time you looked into your heart?

Our world is full of all kinds of material things and we as humans seek to obtain many of those items, but did you know that all our desires are born of the heart. In the different religions in the world today, most have a common message, that message has to do with love and kindness, peace and prosperity. I imagine most of us can agree that those are wonderful and treasured traits to have in your heart. Wisdom is also a wonderful trait to embrace and hold tightly to, she has been know to be a protector through the ages.

You may have heard the Gospel before and it’s simple message. Repent and turn from your sins, the kingdom of God is near! It sounds kind of silly, and raises a question. “What is sin and how does one turn from it? “ That is a question I have asked myself many times and so I went in search of the answer. What I found out is this: WE ARE ALL SPIRITUAL BEINGS and we face everyday the feelings and emotions that stem from these roots: Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth. Or sometimes taught as: lust, anger, greed, pride and attachment. These are known as sins, these are the traits and traps that hinder and destroy our spirits. They are the cause of conflict and illness, corruption and hatred.

So when you hear the message, “Turn from your sins” these are the behaviors that are in question. You could simple say “Turn from Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth”.

So if you make a conscience effort to understand this message and examine your self, then it is important to know what these traits are: Here is a brief definition of each term and it’s opposite:

1.) PRIDE – egotism, superiority, arrogant, conceit, haughty. (Opposite – humbleness, humility, modesty)
2.) ENVY – is the resentment of a more fortunate person; painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another with a desire to possess the same advantage. It is jealousy mixed with anger or greed. ( Opposite – kindness and acceptance, un-wanting)
3.) GLUTTONY - greedy or excessive indulgence, does not have to pertain to food, but is often associated with food. (Opposite – abstemiousness; to restrain in the consumption of; to fast as pertaining to excessive indulgence)
4.) LUST – to have an intense desire or need, to crave specifically to have a sexual urge. (Opposite- apathy, impassiveness or indifference, to have a lack of feeling or emotion, a lack of interest or concern)
5.) ANGER – state of being mad or annoyed, resentful or ill tempered, antagonistic or violent. (Opposite – peaceful, agreeability and temperance)
6.) GREED – an overwhelming desire for more: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something than is needed. Hoarding (Opposite – Generosity; to give freely, benevolence: an inclination to perform kind and charitable acts.)
7.) SLOTH – laziness, do-nothingness, idleness, listlessness, a spiritual disinterest or inactivity. (Opposite – Active, moving, life, diligence, labor, to seek spiritually.)
8.) ATTACHMENT – to bond or connect the act of attaching or the condition of being attached. We can often be attached to our image, (example, being labeled as a President, Lawyer, Hero, and etcetera) or material items. (Opposite – to abstain or alienate, to let go of, to turn away)

So now you know what the term “sin” refers to, when you turn from sin, you turn to the opposite of that trait. When you become aware and have a regular practice to identify the sins of your heart, you can be blessed with the Virtues.

These VIRTUES are tools to help you:

1.) FAITH – to believe and trust, have loyalty.
2.) HOPE – to desire with expectation of obtainment, to not doubt.
3.) CHARITY – generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy of suffering.
4.) FORTITUDE – strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage.
5.) JUSTICE – conformity to truth, fact or reason: correctness or righteousness.
6.) TEMPERANCE – moderation in action, thought or feeling: restraint of anger, disciplined emotions, self control.
7.) PRUDENCE - caution or circumspection as to danger or risk, skill and good judgment in the use of resources. To be alert and awake, careful, guarded. To have wisdom and embrace wisdom.

So examine your heart if this message inspires your spirit to grow! In the teachings of Jesus, we are taught to repent and turn to God, accept the love God has offered us and seek Gods guidance. Believe in the son Jesus, also known as Yeshua which in the Hebrew language is a derivative from “to rescue”, “to deliver”. So, when you call on Jesus, you are calling on deliverance and rescue from the effects and illness caused by Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth.

The new living translation - Acts 3:19 - Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away.
American Standard version – Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that so there may come seasons of refreshing from the presence of the Lord;
Ephesians 2:8-9 (New Living Translation) - God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

thanks for the post. There are many here with different beliefs. But many Christians as well. I am one. Hugs!

Definitely informative.
Always a blessing.

<3 <3 <3

thought provoking for me thanks

hugs to you too.

Love this post!