A pet owner’s worst fear is losing a beloved companion. Fo

A pet owner’s worst fear is losing a beloved companion. For those who have experienced this loss, there is usually a poignant story to share about a cherished dog or cat’s passing. From one pet owner to another, we understand the intense pain and emptiness that occurs after this loss. There is no correct way to grieve and work through this process, as everyone walks down a different journey with a pet.
A pet may symbolize a child, sibling, best friend, or long-term companion. Dogs and cats live an average of 13 years—enough time to truly enter and live in your heart. They become a part of your family and daily life. Your morning routine may not be complete without playing fetch or going on a walk with your dog or snuggling with your feline.
The death of a pet can be a truly traumatic experience and create a large void in our hearts and lives; comparable to losing a close family member or friend. As humans, we project onto our beloved pets our thoughts, emotions, and ideas: We see ourselves in our animals. The common belief that “owners come to look like their pets” may not be a literal truism but rather a figure of speech indicating that our pets are our self-objects.

1 Heart

Thank you for posting this Marlene. I have lost pets over the years and it really hits you hard. I miss all of them so much. It's really funny how our hearts and minds love them so very much.

1 Heart

@Jennipain

I can relate! I have lost several pets over the years myself. Just think how lucky we are to have them in our lives as long as we do! Thank you for the post!
Marlene1105

From Mental & Physical Abuse to Grief & Loss