Ableism, how does one cope?

How does anyone deal with ableism? I have been dealing with micro aggressions because of my disabilities. Just wondering if anyone has tips.
Cheers

I guess like anything you educate people, it sucks that you have to do that, but you are capable and wonderful-unfortunately you have to be your own best advocate.

1 Heart

Hi @ChelleUnderTheS54. Thank you for your question and sharing a bit of your experience. What feelings are you experiencing with these microaggressions? We are here for you.

We wanted to circle back and see how you are doing. I’m sorry to hear that you’re facing microaggressions because of your disabilities. It can be really challenging to deal with ableism, whether it’s in the form of overt discrimination or subtler microaggressions. Here are some tips that might help you navigate these situations:

Self-Care: Prioritize your mental and emotional well-being. Engaging in self-care practices can help you manage the stress and emotional toll of facing microaggressions.

Build a Support Network: Surround yourself with people who understand and validate your experiences. This could be friends, family, or support groups like the one here.

Educate and Advocate: If you feel safe and comfortable doing so, consider educating others about ableism and the impact of their actions. Sometimes people are unaware of the implications of their behavior and might be receptive to learning and changing.

Set Boundaries: It’s important to set and enforce boundaries to protect your well-being. This can include limiting your time with people who consistently display microaggressions or speaking up when you experience them.

Seek Professional Support: A therapist or counselor, particularly one experienced in dealing with disability and discrimination issues, can provide you with strategies to cope with microaggressions and support your mental health.

Document Incidents: Keeping a record of microaggressions can be helpful, especially if you need to report repeated incidents in a workplace or educational setting. This documentation can also validate your experiences when discussing them with others.

Empower Yourself: Educate yourself about your rights and the resources available to you. This can include legal protections, advocacy organizations, and community resources that support individuals with disabilities.

It’s crucial to find what works best for you. We are so glad you are here and asking the questions that matter the most to you. All the best-SG