Apparently something to keep in mind as an ADHD student when

Apparently something to keep in mind as an ADHD student when picking a college is what supports they offer to students with ADHD. My community college gave me electronic versions of my textbooks so I could have my computer read them to me. All I had to do was prove I purchased the paper copy. My university, in the same state, says that ADHD is not an adequate diagnosis for that type of support. I can however get this recording pen that records lectures and if I write on the special paper will take pictures of my notes. I apparently needed like an accommodation buddy or something for that one because I've never used that type of thing before, and while it seems pretty straight forward, I feel like I did not maximize the potential that support had because I had never used it before. I wasn't shown how to use it outside the classroom, which I know sounds crazy, but I'm not one to just sit and relisten to lectures, especially when it is literally just listening. We'll see how it goes, I'm currently also fighting for an accommodation to get a single room instead of having to have a room mate. With how I work (up at 4am, it's weird, and listening to music which prompts singing, and spreading out all over the place) having a roommate on an opposite schedule (which is the case this year and next) is a pain in the butt. It just adds yet another layer of navigation around an already more complicated than average experience.

it does sound like you are doing a good job of being your own advocate

@norseduncan I have to, but apparently every request I make because I know it’ll help is either straight up no or we can’t guarantee anything. Currently it is seriously like, so am I just screwed if the accommodations don’t work for me? That doesn’t sound very supportive.

From Autism and Learning Disorders to ADHD