At my wit's end

I’m an 18 year old boy from a family full of disunity, individualism and no love. Due to severe strict parenting in my childhood, I’ve grown to become shy, timid extremely quiet, inaudible and dubious about my capabilities. I have 5 siblings but no one cares about the others. My own twin brother treats me cruelly, like I am a stranger to him and we barely even talk. I had all A’s in my final exams at high school hoping to become a corporate lawyer but my dreams have been shattered due to extreme financial constraints. I’m currently working as a teacher but earning very low income. And this issue troubles me a lot. I feel lost and helpless and I’m not sure what to do anymore.

We are so glad you are here and working on finding out who you are apart from your family who seems unloving and mentally abusive. Teaching is a wonderful profession, but it doesn’t have to be your life’s calling. Have you looked into financial assistance for law school? Are you in the US or abroad? Welcome to the site and we look forward to supporting you. -SG

I’m from Ghana. I’m very much not exposed to ways I can access scholarship programs so I contacted one teacher in my high school who is also a counselor but, apparently, no results have been yielded. I even spoke to the headteacher of academics in my high school for help but, he couldn’t.

What about applying for scholarships abroad?

I will very much appreciate any assistance or ideas you can give me on how to apply for international scholarships.

Applying for international scholarships from Ghana involves several steps. Here’s a general guideline to help you get started:

1. Research Scholarship Opportunities:
  • Look for scholarships that match your academic interests, career goals, and qualifications. You can search for scholarships offered by universities, private organizations, and government institutions.
  • Utilize websites like ScholarshipPortal, FastWeb, and the local educational authorities or international affairs offices in Ghana.
  1. Check Eligibility Requirements:
  • Ensure you meet all the criteria for the scholarship. This can include your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and sometimes specific requirements like a certain GPA or language proficiency.
  1. Prepare Necessary Documents:
  • Commonly required documents include your academic transcripts, a resume or CV, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose or motivational letter, and standardized test scores (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, GMAT).
  • Some scholarships might also require a portfolio or other proof of your abilities in a specific field.
  1. Write a Strong Application Essay or Statement of Purpose:
  • This should clearly articulate your goals, why you deserve the scholarship, and how the scholarship will help you achieve your educational and career objectives.
  • Tailor your essays to each scholarship to reflect how you meet their specific requirements and values.
  1. Apply for the Scholarship:
  • Follow the application instructions carefully. Submit your application before the deadline, and make sure all submitted information is complete and accurate.
  • Some scholarships may require you to apply directly to the university offering the scholarship, while others might be applied for independently.
  1. Prepare for Interviews:
  • Some scholarships require interviews. Prepare by reviewing common interview questions, your application, and be ready to discuss how the scholarship will help you achieve your goals.
  1. Follow Up:
  • After submitting your application, keep track of the scholarship’s website or communication channels to check your application status.
  • Some organizations notify all applicants, while others only contact selected individuals.
  1. Utilize Local Resources:
  • Contact the Ghana Scholarships Secretariat or educational advising centers like EducationUSA for advice and support in applying for international scholarships.

Starting your search early and being meticulous with your applications can greatly increase your chances of obtaining an international scholarship.

Alright thanks

Don’t give up on your dreams, they are worth pursuing. -SG