growing up, growing apart

Heyaa it’s been a long time since i made a post in this site. Anyway, compared to my previous old posts, i am now a “grown up” as a working professional who just graduated from college.

I have been in a long time friend group since high school and let me tell you, we are close-close. We talk almost everyday in our groupchat about everything that happens in our daily lives. Until in the past year. I guess it’s inevitable. Some of us are now in a relationship. Some of us have started working (like i am). Some of us are just finishing college.

We are growing up. Far from our high school selves. However, as per myself, i felt so dependent on the friendship we had in the past almost-10 years. I’m still getting used to the not so frequent talking with them anymore. And i know it’s not about me, but i just can’t help to feel neglected and lonely. They have their own lives and i have mine too, but i think i am being left behind with my thoughts and myself alone most of the time.

This sucks. To grow up and somehow grow apart as well. Anyone else who are feeling or have felt this way? How do you cope? Does it get better?

1 Heart

I’ve had the same thing happen to me. A lot of my close friends moved away before high school started and all of my other friends formed other friendships in high school and we kinda just stopped hanging out or talking as much. I think it’s very normal to feel this way. I think it’s hard but sometimes it’s better to accept that friendship will come and go, especially at that age. I sometimes still struggle with making friends as I’m very shy and don’t really talk to people I don’t know well and start thinking about all the friendships I used to have. Sometimes, you may just have to find opportunities to go out and meet people or find people where you work. Although, it’s harder than it seems.

Graduated high school last year and I still maintain contact with only a few from time to time. I don’t often talk with the others from middle school since most of them haven’t finished graduating. I’m probably the only one from a friend group that studies in college that’s in my home town. I still have a spare time to plan on hanging out with them, so I’m lucky lol. But I feel your pain, because I also can’t stand the thought of ending up alone for a long time, so this whole thing scares me to death.