How can you tell if you need a change in medication? I curre

How can you tell if you need a change in medication? I currently take adderall, 10 mg in the morning, with a 5mg booster dose in the afternoon if needed. Over the last month or two I've really felt like I'm not getting enough coverage and support from my meds though. The 10mg dose generally lasts me 4 to 5 hours, which gets me through my classes most days. Tuesdays and Thursdays are my long class days, with my last class ending at 3. The 5mg seems to only really last me 2 hours. It may last me longer if I took it later, but if I take it later than 1, I'm going to be up basically all night. Currently, I feel like I get better focus from caffeine (though the amount I need to drink for results has gone up as well). I'm at a point where I feel like I'm only good for an hour or two of hw each day, which does not work at college.

Have you tried Adderall XR?

@Ducktape I have not. I also know a couple years ago it was like $100+ without insurance, which I currently do not have, and I’m not sure my insurance starting in July/August would cover it.

@Ducktape If it were something other than a stimulant and federally controlled, I would be comfortable with doing that, but I know when I very briefly had mail order prescriptions (worse thing ever for me too) that to get them to send me my Adderall it was a song and dance, I had to be home to sign for the package or go to the post office to pick it up and it had to be me because it’s a controlled substance. I’m not sure how that would play into trying to get a sample from a pharmaceutical company. When I do my physical I’ll talk to my doctor about it and about transferring at least this part of the information over to my college (which is really close, but I can’t drive and the buses between the city my college is in and the city my doctor is in only run mornings and evenings, which doesn’t work with a student schedule) so I can also talk with doctors here through out the semester about how my medication is working and tweek it if needed. Because it’s really hard to gage how it’s working over the summer, I’m not taking classes this summer semester or working for that matter. And my ADHD impacts school most so it’s hard to determine what the optimal coverage will be when I’m sitting at home mostly doing things I want. Or even working, because retail is really about all I can do until I’m done, and that’s mindless enough my lack of focus doesn’t normally get me into trouble.

From Autism and Learning Disorders to ADHD