I have been in contact with an old boyfriend of mine for the

I have been in contact with an old boyfriend of mine for the past week. He's a great guy and we get along very well. I find myself facing some big emotions, however, and I actually caught myself in the refrigerator searching for something comforting to eat because I didn't know how else to deal with all this. I asked myself why I wanted to eat the emotions and I couldn't come up with an answer. I just kept thinking "I don't want to go there, I don't want to go there." Why don't I want to go there?

2 Hearts

@Writeaway, Sometimes we don't know why we don't want to go there, we just know we don't want to feel that emotion. One of those ways is suppressing with food or any other substance really. I used to binge eat, it's not an easy decision to stop. We can't just wave a magic wand and say zap, be gone. That'd be super convenient, though I don't think we'd honestly learn anything from it. For example I still have cravings and slip ups but instead of seeing it as a digression, I definitely see it as an opportunity for awareness as to how I can better react next time. I don't know if this will work for you and I wish I had more advice as to how I stopped doing this exact thing altogether. I assume I was ready and received the help I needed at the time. At that point it was a psychiatric unit. I'm not saying that's for you or that'll be a perfect healing idea. What I'm saying is maybe find supports in your community (this can be a friend, family member, therapist, or even a significant other), and confide in them about your struggle with bingeing. We're also here for you, though technology can only go so far. Sometimes we need to have a physical connection with those whom we surround ourselves with as well. I hope this helps, reaching out is trying and I want you to know that! :)

1 Heart

I am new to this issue yet I have notice I too have been turning to food to deal with my issues (loneliness, relationship issues). In the early stages of this so what can I do not to get myself to the extreme.

1 Heart

writeaway, I am incredibly proud of you for realizing this and also searching for an answer. I do not know why you felt this way and I do not think anyone but you will. I do think it would be wise to possibly step away from the situation for a moment and think about things and analyze your thoughts and emotions (possibly anxieties) about this relationship. I am here if you want to chat. Big hugs!

1 Heart

@APOR2017 Thank you for the kind words and advice.