I think I have work anxiety but it may be more general

Hi. I think I have work anxiety. Tho i’m not so sure about it, because it feels more general; it’s NOT about being stressed about the responsabilities, tasks i have to achieve or having a lot to do. It’s about feeling this strong anxiety before i go to sleep, already not wanting to wake up to go to work tomorrow. It’s waking up at night to go to the bathroom and sometimes not being able to fall back asleep just at the thought of being OBLIGED to wake up in a few hours when I’m not in the mood most of the time. It’s just wanting to go to sleep deciding that I just won’t work tomorrow… I know it’s ridiculous since we all have to go to school, we all have to work, I’m not the only one. Although i know this very well already, it’s been the same for way too long, from school and still today (if anything, it’s worse now). I’ve thought about it so much you know, just trying to figure out a way to not be invaded with anxiety from head to toe, making my life impossible to be a minimum at peace. This anxiety is making it hard for me to choose what i want to do for my future career as my mind is rejecting every possible job there is. At a point where the only thing that I see myself doing is starting a project and hiring people to work and i’d choose what time to go and spend some time there. I see myself having kids, taking care of them and the house, so this issue that i’m talking about is purely about obligations with work. I’m currently working a temporary job, which was my idea until I know what i want for my future career. But again, no job that i could think of seems like it’d make me happy or even a little satisfied. I want to work, i want to be passionate and actif. I really am trying and i’m just more anxious than ever. I’m just trying to find a solution; medication, independent, peaceful job suggestions… . Tho i know some ppl also have this anxiety, i feel so alone and really can’t go past this feeling of being obliged to wake up in the morning and work and wouldn’t know how to explain this further :frowning:

Edit: This anxiety is mostly because I refuse to follow the main path we’re told to follow by the society and be PASSIVE. I’m scared of feeling PASSIVE like this for the rest of my life, like I have no control whatsoever over my life, that I’m just being used. I so don’t feel like myself. So technically, no matter the job I choose, I’ll still feel like this unless I find a way to live by myself, by my “own rules” not depending on the system that the society wants us to be part of.

1 Heart

My friend, we are on the same boat from what i can see, i hate to be like everyone else and say that many people are like this too, i say this cuz a close friend of mine always says it on weekends. What is your job? Your age? And tell me about the project you mentioned, sounds nice, im interested. I could say what people say to me when i complain about the same thing, but if you are anything like me you will be only mad. You mentioned you have some job ideas, im curious to hear them as well. I feel so anxious about things i simply get stuck, every monday to Wednesday i feel depressivr as hell. Im interested in your point of view im trying to write a song about it but i cant seem to put words out bc im too stuck for it

1 Heart

i can totally relate, I felt similar over years at my job. would wake up or have trouble getting to sleep thinking about work. It was terrible. I tried several things but in the end, i had to make some changes and change my mentally state. I took up yoga and meditation.

2 Hearts

Thank you for listening, it’s so relieving seeing people relate in the first place. The project that i talked about is just an idea to be able to work. Otherwise there is no job out there that i’d want to do, at least not working under a boss and the pressure of a schedule. Sounds stupid maybe because, again, that’s the way things are, that’s how everybody provides a living to their family. But it makes me more anxious than ever. I’m 22 and i’ve felt like this for a long time but with time (or maybe it’s work), this anxiety intensified. My current temporary job is taking calls from clients, for a company i work for. Tho i’m open to independent, peaceful job suggestions like i said, i think i’ve thought about every job already and i just know it’ll be the same as it is now, sadly. Because of the idea behind working; the system, the pressure, the crowd-following, the passiveness. I know that you already know it, because you feel it too but it’s so scary. How do we go through with it? Writing a song is such a good idea tho. I write too but mostly poems. Writing is the best kind of therapy sometimes. Since most people don’t seem to relate.

1 Heart

Exactly. I tried basic things as well like medication and not talking about work outside of work but it’s so unbearable just thinking about it and it’s impossible to avoid it.
It’s there. It takes most of our time. That’s almost all that people talk about. All that they ask about when they see you. It’s like our identity. We’re more than this and i just can’t accept this system and i’ll never fit in, i just hope i find a solution. I’m glad yoga and meditation are working for you. I tried yoga as well. I loved it, really. But it’s just another temporary solution, for an hour or two and then i’m back in the real world again and there’s nothing i can do but to suck it up and go back to dealing with my anxiety. Although maybe meditation could help a little on the long run, i’ll see. As for the change of our mental state, i’m curious to know a little more about this?

2 Hearts

dont be afraid to try new things and sometimes a combination works well. I journal alot more now. I have also come to realize that i can control my anxiety and worry about things. I have to work to not let them control me. I have to live my life and not let the huge anxiety take over. It has helped me sleep a bit more at night and not as much worry

1 Heart

Well I’m glad you’re doing better. I’d have to try new things like you said and hopefully I’ll find my way to control my anxiety. I’m just scared of feeling like this longer. It’s already been years. Thank you for sharing :blush:

1 Heart

I saw a video yesterday about low stress jobs and what they do, i can send the link if you want. Never apologize for thinking different than others, the problem is other people living the same shitty life for decades now, when we are the ones that can change the system. Poems and songs are very simillar. You didnt tell me the idea you have

1 Heart

Im curious about the mental state change, bc i feel like its a matter of accecptance and change but i also feel like accepting will make me like everyone else and most people are miserable somehow. Is all we do in our lives striving for better and never achieving it? How did you change that? Im really curious, and how are you medidating?

1 Heart

Yes, thank you for suggesting. The idea I had was to open a project like, a pastry or a coffee… This idea isn’t to completely stop working but rather work less and at my own schedule. While giving people an opportunity to work. Tho it takes a good budget and a lot of determination but it’s just an idea that I had.

1 Heart

This is what I was thinking about as well. Changing our mindset leads us to be like most people. I tried to change my mindset, to feel lighter, less anxious. But it never stuck. I go back to feeling emprisoned and powerless. Also, work takes away your time with yourself, takes away the good years. It’s the main reason why we feel like time is flying. Otherwise, we’d be connecting with family more and appreciating time at our own pace. It’s so unfair. Personnally when I meditate, I follow videos on YT where they meditate with you and it feels amazing. Or I simply sit down straight, close my eyes and work on my breathing and the controlling of my thoughts.

Its a nice idea, a lot of the times i think of moving to another country and doing something brazilian based, it would be a lot of money but in other countries i think its a good idea

1 Heart

what i have learned, i have to be happy with myself and accepting of myself, the good and bad. I can then try to change things as i see them, or when close friends point out a weakness in me. I like to mediate with deep breathing and some light yoga at times, it helps me to focus on my body, how i feel and what i am feeling. I can think use that to better focus on myself and emotional status later in the day.

1 Heart

Do you feel that getting therapy or on medication would help? Or do you feel it is more of a, I need to change everything type of situation and that is scary.

Welcome to the site! -SG

It’s a good question, but it’s not an ‘I need to change everything type of situation’. I’ve always been like this; feeling forced to do like everybody else at school and having to achieve a certain level that people expect from you (specifically at work since we’re responsible and mature enough). It’s the ‘being forced to go to school, do my homework then having to work and be on time and all, no questions asked’ my whole life, since I was 6. For me, I’ve never been able to accommodate. If anything, my anxiety became worse and worse over the time. I wished to talk about it to people who could relate, before I started thinking about therapy since it isn’t really in my range. Though, I tried it once and didn’t, personally, like it. And I think medication could temporarily help but for that, i’d need to see a psychologist I think.

It is great you are here and we are so happy to have you. Therapy can be great and we are a huge advocate for online therapy since it is easy to sign up and you don’t have to stick with a therapist if you don’t mesh, which is a huge issue in face to face therapy as you need to go to a different practice a lot of times and who has time for that? Additionally, it is a lot more cost effective.

Yes, for medication you do need to see a Psychologist, but honestly, once you find the correct medication you might only need to see them twice a year, like the dentist.

Maybe take sometime to think, I have always done what others expect of me, what do I want to do? Teach English abroad, write a book, take a job that offers great work life balance.

Happy Tuesday-SG

1 Heart

Thank you for all the advice. I’ll definitely look into online therapy and see if I can give it a try. I know I could use it.

1 Heart

If you were interested, BetterHelp allows us to give our members 10% off the first month, code: THEMISUNDERSTROOD. But there are lots of sites out there, this is just one of them. Let us know how you are doing. -SG

1 Heart

Finding the right life path is hard and stressful, so proud of you for not just running the rat race being miserable and doing nothing about it. Hugs

1 Heart

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate a lot.

1 Heart