Im 31.getting tested for a possible dual diagnosis of autism

im 31.getting tested for a possible dual diagnosis of autism and adhd. so many symptoms hit the nail right on the head. my son has Been diagnosed with adhd. my daughter diagnosed with autism. I use to be obsessed trying to find out why I am the way I am and adhd autism were on my list but I just kept brushing it off and telling myself there was nothing wrong with me. I just drank myself to death every day until a month or so ago. I got a therapist sobered up and she believes I have both autism and adhd as well. I feel like I've lost so many years pushing this off. it's so bad that I can barely focus or function unless it's repetitive.

2 Hearts

I think there are a lot of people out there that are going through similar things as you are. So many people not getting diagnosed for different reasons. Try not to be hard on yourself, you didn't know what to do, life can be real hell sometimes. At least now you have a therapist and stopped drinking so thats a huge positive, right? Make sure you get enough sleep and keep a routine. Do things that you enjoy doing on a daily basis. You might need to talk with your Dr about medication.

I feel like I never get enough sleep. even if I sleep a full 8hrs I'm still tired. medication has always scared me I won't even take a tylenol unless I feel like I'm dieing but if it's going to help me I'm willing to try anything

@iamhuman I totally understand, I don’t like to take medicine unless I really have too. There is medicine I really need so I do take that. Sleep is very important and there are so many different things that can cause a person not to sleep well or not enough. Sometimes just depression alone can cause a person to feel tired all the time. You might need to talk to your Dr about it. He can order a home sleep test to see if you have sleep apnea, there are 3 forms, central, obstructive and complex. You can have it and not know it. It’s best to rule it out if you can. Make sure your bedroom is dark and more on the cool side. Sometimes a fan helps because it can drown out other noise and keep the air moving.

From Autism and Learning Disorders to ADHD