I'm getting accountability support for shopping addiction

New to this group, first post. I’ve had clothes shopping addiction starting in my 20’s and I’m in my 60’s now. I actually encouraged myself to develop it so I would be able to get my high without eating. I’ve gotten it to where I don’t overspend, but I’m still overly focused and spend too much time on this. I’m Christian so it is against my beliefs as well. In the past few years I joined Celebrate Recovery and Overeaters Anonymous… finally got my eating under control and lost 50 pounds, but if anything the weight loss aggravated the shopping problem as I now feel more attractive. One of my OA friends agreed to provide accountability support but there are really no groups for shopping addiction so I’m winging it. This is my template:
Develop new hobbies: Three times per week in September, I will pull out my drawing pad and draw at least 1 picture.
Meditation: I will complete a Christian app meditation once daily, in addition to my regular prayer, meditation and Bible reading
I will sing at least 3 praise songs every morning while doing housework.
Affirmation: I will speak this affirmation 3 times a day in September: “God has blessed me with an abundance of clothes and I am content in what I have received.”
I will not click on the clothes items that pop up while I am using email, and I will block them as much as I can. If I do, I have to confess it to T.
I will not go on shopping sites more than once a day, and then only to check the status of shipments and returns. If I do, I have to confess it to T.
Thoughts anyone? Anyone had success kicking this? Thank you!

1 Heart

i think this is a great idea! it is a pity there are no groups for shopping addiction. But im glad you got help for your eating disorder. I think having the accountability partner will help you tremendously! Please keep us posted on your day to day progress. it will be great to follow. let us know if we can help.