I'm thinking about telling my dad the root of some issues

When I was little things were pretty rough. I was the youngest of three, and based on the timing, not planned. Things were always tense, money was tight, and tempers got hot. My mom was rough on me and my sisters. Sometimes it was physical, like slapping us around or shoving us, but it was mainly verbal and emotional. She would tear us down pretty good.

My dad spent most of his time working, partly because money was tight and partly because he was avoiding mom. He was absent to the point that he was genuinely surprised when he heard about some of the abuse. A little weak since he knew how mom was, anyway I have been telling more things about back then and I’m up to a big one.

I’ve had anxiety and a mortal fear of rejection my whole life and I know why. My mom threatened to abandon me a couple of times. We lived not far from a children’s hospital and she used to threaten to leave me on the porch. She used the threat to get me to do what she wanted and I think after a few years, awful as it sounds, actually forgot about it. I never did though.

Looking back, I can see now that part of the reason I reacted to harshly to criticism from my family was my deep belief that my place in the family was conditional and could be “terminated:” at any time. Every time my dad corrected me, or made me feel ashamed, he didn’t know that it came with the implicit threat of abandonment. Like he was going down a checklist ticking off mistakes and once I hit one box too many I was out on my own.

This led me to keep everyone, friends, family, everyone, at an emotional distance. Part of me believes that people can, and will, just dump me with no warning. I’m still working on it, but it’s a major issue of mine.

Anyway, I’m not sure if I should tell him all this. I figure it’s in the past and there’s nothing he can do, but on the other hand it would help him understand me a lot better.

I don’t want to hurt him needlessly and this is a pretty nasty revelation.

1 Heart

Firstly, that threat of abandonment alone, is so real and painful. When you said thats why you keep people at an arm’s length, lightbulbs went off for me too. So thank you from my heart. That alone, is a powerfully painful thing to experience as a child, and teen.

Then you talked about how your father would just basically leave you with your mother while avoiding your mother. I would imagine you feel so much anger, resentment and just betrayal based on that. Like he was an adult who was supposed to protect you.

And finally, your mother. I have no idea how you managed to summarize everything. Emotional, and physical abuse was used by your mom to control you, to put your down. There was absolutely nothing wrong with you, a child. I feel like she sounds like she lacks empathy and has some narcissist traits like criticism and punishment to manipulate you. I know it might have been a long time ago, but it doesnt matter how long ago an animal walked the earth. The footprint they leave is still there. I think you’re incredibly strong. But I think you do deserve to stand up for the child she tore down along your journey. It isnt exactly the past because it still affects you now.

Here’s a link I think might help

2 Hearts

Thanks. I’ve had a long time to reflect and sort things out. It’s easier to recognize some of my behaviors once I realized what they all stemmed from.

1 Heart