It’s a Barbie World

In all fairness, your writer has not seen the Barbie Movie yet dear readers, so there will be no spoilers! Even if you never played with a Barbie, you have certainly heard of her and seen a few hundred dolls on the shelves over the years. She is iconic and currently stars in one of the top grossing movies at the moment. Her history spans over six decades and she has become an interesting role model in recent years offering lessons in self-empowerment, inclusivity, and resilience.

So what can Barbie offer us in the realm of mental health?
While it is true that Barbie, the doll and the immense movie and tv franscise she has spawned primarily cater to children, there is an underestimated relevance to adult audiences, particularly in the context of mental health. Adults can draw valuable lessons and reminders from the Barbie movie franchise, resonating with its themes of resilience, empathy, and self-love.

Nostalgia and Connection to Childhood
Watching a Barbie movie as an adult can trigger nostalgia, transporting viewers back to happy memories of their childhood. These memories can bring a smile to your face and provide temporary respite from the pressures of adult life, reducing stress and anxiety. Nostalgic memories can also foster feelings of continuity and identity, enhancing overall mental well-being.

Themes of Empowerment and Resilience
The Barbie movie narratives often center around overcoming challenges and adversities. As adults, we can relate to these struggles but sometimes forget the importance of resilience. These movies serve as gentle reminders that no hurdle is insurmountable and that it's okay to ask for help when needed. This message of resilience can inspire adults to maintain a positive outlook, which is critical for mental health.

Celebration of Diversity and Inclusivity
In recent years the makers of Barbie dolls have made a deliberate effort to depict a diverse range of characters in terms of race, body type, and abilities. This diversity fosters a culture of acceptance and inclusivity, reminding adults that everyone's unique attributes contribute to the richness of our world. It promotes body positivity and self-love, which are essential for good mental health.

Teaching Empathy and Kindness
The Barbie franchise teaches valuable lessons about empathy, kindness, and the importance of maintaining strong social relationships. Even as adults, we can benefit from these reminders. Positive social relationships and empathy towards others are associated with improved mental health outcomes, including reduced levels of stress and an increased sense of belonging.

Creativity and Self-Expression
The Barbie movies, filled with creative narratives, remind adults of the importance of self-expression and creativity, which can often be overlooked in the hustle and bustle of adulthood. Engaging with the imaginative narratives of these films can inspire adults to reconnect with their creative side, which is known to reduce stress and promote mental well-being.

While the Barbie movie franchise is traditionally seen as children's entertainment, its relevance to adult mental health should not be discounted, nor should the fun factor be ignored. These films offer lessons in resilience, empathy, self-love, and the importance of creativity, all of which can significantly benefit adult mental health. As we navigate the complexities of adult life, a touch of the simplicity and optimism embodied in the Barbie universe can provide a refreshing perspective and valuable mental health support. So like almost everyone on the planet, your writer has a ticket for later this week and looks forward to seeing a movie in a theater for the first time in forever!

As always you amaze us and make us so proud of your tenacity and kindness,
Team SG

Food for thought?
Have you seen the Barbie Movie?
Loved it/Hated it?
What is the best memory from your childhood, Barbie related or not?

*With so many new options online and in person, getting therapy has never been easier and more convenient, through our partnership with BetterHelp, you get 10% off your first month.
www.betterhelp.com/themisunderstood

I survived a scary illness as a child and my grandparents said if I survived I would get the Barbie dream house, that thing was awesome! Some of my sweetest memories are of playing Barbies with friends, I am an 80s kid, we played until we were almost preteens. My kids never picked up a Barbie after like 8, kind of sad. But now everyone is watching even the animated cartoon barbie movies, even the teens!

At first, I thought this movie was going to flop like most of the other movies, but after reading so many reviews and talking to others that have watched it, now I can't wait to see it for myself tomorrow. I'll be sure to give my honest opinion about it.

We can’t wait to hear your thoughts.