It's been less than three hours since my last sugar binge

It's been less than three hours since my last sugar binge. Every day I try to quit, and every day I fail. Yesterday it was donuts at the office. Today it was cookies. I know I have to get it under control before I become diabetic, but I can't get away from the stuff. Recently I consumed 235 grams of sugar within two hours, and I thought that would be the Come-to-Jesus moment that would help me quit. But apparently not, since I still can't break the addiction. Approaching my wit's end. How do I get through Day 1 of detox?

From personal experience, just let everyone around you know that you are not eating sugar and can use other people's support on keeping temptation away.

@CKBlossom Unfortunately I’m stuck in a living situation with very unsupportive family members. They expect me to break my addiction with cakes, cobblers, cookies, and brownies in every fridge and freezer. (Narcissistic personality disorder = no empathy = no support). Any advice on how to break an addiction without support? :frowning:
(to clarify - moving out isn’t an option.)

Setting up a rewards system helps me. If I am able reach my goal (whether it is one day, one month, or one year) I get my predetermined reward. It has to be something out of the ordinary for it to work. For example, I really like massages but rarely justify spending the money for them, so they make a good reward for me.

I've also noticed that mental processes go a long way towards either making or breaking my effort. Whenever I give myself an ultimatum, "I can never have sugar ever again!", the next thing I know, I'm bingeing and then feeling awful about myself after. Instead of focusing on "I can't have it", it helps for me to say "I can make it one hour" and then celebrating every hour I make it. If I slip up, I try to remind myself that every hour, every second, is a clean slate. I always do worse when I focus on my slip ups and think to myself, "well, I've already failed. Might as well throw in the towel." You said that you went three hours without sugar. It is so easy to get down on ourselves and think, "oh, I only went three hours. I'm a failure" but why not look at it as, "hey, I went three whole hours today without sugar, that's a win!". I've heard people say that it is really helpful to see a psychologist. They can help give tools to reorganize mental processes and change perspective to help overcome addictions.

Besides the whole mental game, there are also safe(ish) cheats that can help like eating a lot of fruit, chewing sugar free gum, or eating yogurt. But I think all of us in this group know that it is easier said than done, that is why we are all here.

1 Heart

@pukpumin This is super helpful - thanks! I think I will definitely start viewing hours without sugar in a more positive light. Until now, I’ve just been viewing each new day as a clean slate, and it hasn’t worked in months. Maybe this new tactic will help me reach a full day! :slight_smile: I’m really encouraged now.