I've recently reconnected with an older cousin that was like

I've recently reconnected with an older cousin that was like a big sister to me when I was young. We had a really productive videochat session yesterday where we talked about our parents (my dad and hers are brothers) and I came away from it feeling really validated. We hadn't talked in decades, and I always wondered if anyone else in the family saw my parents for who they are. I felt really alone in that knowledge. Even though she didn't know a lot of the specifics, it filled me with relief to hear her share her impressions, and see her react to some of the things I described. I felt heard. I felt believed. She apologized for being bad at staying in touch, it's just part of who she is. But she said she loves me and wants to talk more. She had similar struggles with her parents, which I didn't know. Just goes to show how our family system thrives on silence. That was a huge positive thing that happened and I wanted to share it.

1 Heart

It's wonderful that you were able to connect with family. It always feels good to be heard and validated. I'm happy to hear that you were able to get that.

Silence and secrets are not conducive to healing. It must have felt incredible to talk to someone who understands what you've been through.

I hope that you're able to stay in touch and to keep healing. You're not alone. Keep your chin up.

1 Heart

Thanks for sharing that! I'm delighted to hear that you have found a new friendship with an old friend :-)

From Personality Disorders to Narcissist Abuse and Trauma