Please, if anyone has advice about insomnia and being unable

Please, if anyone has advice about insomnia and being unable to take sleep medication due to bipolar/mental health meds... I'm so scared I'm going to become manic. I was stable until July 26th, sleeping 8 hours every night. Then I went on Gabapentin for chronic pain and it destroyed me. I've spoken to 2 Psychiatrists, there's nothing they can do. I'm only sleeping about 6 hours every night for two months. I've tried Valerian, L-tryptophan, CBD oil, Melatonin, over the counter sleep aid, Magnesium... maybe more but that's I can think of. I fall asleep right on schedule. The problem is I wake up at 4:00 or 5:00am and can't get back to sleep. Thank you.

I’m 70 yrs. Old, and that use to happen to me. Then I started reading a book when I would wake up. It takes my mind off things and soon I am sleepy and able to go right back to sleep.

1 Heart

@mmadlecl Thank you. I will try reading a book. Thanks for your reply.

Are you taking gabapentin for nerve pain? Maybe you could talk to your Dr about a different pain med? Reading a book could get you back to sleep. Insomnia is awful I hope you can get some relief soon

Hi @Fohb460, thanks for commenting here. I was taking Gabapentin for nerve pain, but the insomnia was so horrific that I stopped after 3 weeks. It did help my pain… but I never recovered from the insomnia it gave me. I’ve been off it for at least 4 or 5 weeks. So now I have no pain meds and insomnia. (I know things could be worse, it’s just hard). Thanks for the empathy. I think I have a good book to try.

From Mood Disorders to Bipolar Disorder