Seeking Guidance After a Setback in My Low Buy Year

Hello everyone,

I’m relatively new to this community and am immensely grateful for the support groups available for those of us grappling with shopping addiction. For the past 4 to 5 years, I’ve struggled with compulsive shopping and am now eager to transform these detrimental habits.

In my quest for change, I’ve engaged with numerous resources, including YouTube videos and informative websites, to gather insights and strategies for embarking on a low buy year. This marks my second attempt at committing to a low buy year. To guide my purchasing decisions, I’ve categorized potential purchases into green, yellow, and red lists, indicating items I may buy under certain conditions. Despite my best efforts, adhering to this system has proven challenging. Often, the sight of something appealing triggers an almost irrational urge to purchase it.

I’m confident many of you can empathize with this struggle. Hence, I’m initiating this discussion to foster a space where we can exchange advice on how to recalibrate and reconnect with our objectives following lapses in our commitment.

To kick things off, I’ll be sharing some strategies that have been enlightening for me in the comments below.

I sincerely hope you find this initiative beneficial.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead.

1 Heart

So, I am starting with some tips I have heard of so far:

1. Switch Your Smartphone to Greyscale: Reducing the visual appeal of your phone can make online shopping and advertisements less enticing. This simple adjustment can help diminish the impulse to buy based on visual stimuli.
  2. Implement a Waiting Period: Before making a purchase, impose a waiting period of at least one week. This cooling-off period allows you to assess whether the desire to buy is a fleeting impulse or a genuine need. Often, you may find that the urge to purchase fades away.
  3. Inventory Your Possessions: Create a comprehensive list or a photo inventory of what you already own. This visual reminder can help prevent unnecessary duplicates and encourage you to utilize what you have.
  4. Set Attainable Goals: If you’re new to the concept of a low buy year, consider starting with shorter, more manageable goals, such as a month or 90 days. Setting achievable milestones can help build confidence and momentum.

I’m curious to hear about your personal goals and how you adjust your strategies to meet them.

Moreover, setbacks are a part of any journey towards change. When you find yourself slipping up, what strategies do you employ to get back on track? Sharing our experiences and recovery tactics can provide valuable support and insight for all members of this community.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and advice.

Best regards.

how are you doing with the shopping?