Shopping addiction

Hi I’m new here and don’t know where to begin to stopping my shopping addiction. I’m in debt and will use credit cards, affirm, and Klarna to buy things and pay for them over time. I’m overdrawn on my checking account but want to order more skincare and makeup. Advice anyone???

2 Hearts

Hi,
I’m not an expertise. But I had the same issue also. Shopping spree. I had many credit cards with limitless. SHOPPING ADDICTION-compulsive buying as a way to cope with negative feelings like anxiety and depression, which I had. It’s called ONIOMANIA and it’s not a disease.
I took professional help.
Here are few tips some strategies to help you break free from compulsive buying and regain control over your finances and well-being.

Understanding Shopping Addiction—
Shopping addiction, also known as oniomania , involves compulsive buying as a way to cope with negative feelings like anxiety and depression, which I mentioned earlier. Here are some signs that you might be struggling with shopping addiction:

1. Constant Thoughts About Purchases: You find yourself always thinking about things you plan to buy.
  2. Inability to Stop Shopping: Despite negative consequences, you can’t stop your compulsive shopping behavior.
  3. Euphoria After Buying: You experience a rush of euphoria after making a purchase.
  4. Regret or Guilt: You feel regret or guilt about past purchases.
  5. Financial Problems: You’re in debt or have trouble paying off existing balances.
  6. Lying or Hiding Purchases: You lie about your purchases or hide them from others.
  7. Opening New Credit Cards: You open new credit cards without paying off existing ones.
  8. Shopping When stressed or Sad: You turn to shopping as a way to cope with stress or sadness.

Coping Strategies for Shopping Addiction: -

Few practical steps to help you:

1. Unsubscribe from Email Lists and Unfollow Social Media Accounts:
  • Reduce temptation by minimizing exposure to shopping-related content. [Unsubscribe from promotional emails and unfollow brands on social media]
  1. Review Your Bank Account and Track Your Bills:
  • Take a close look at your finances. Understand where your money is going and identify patterns. [Tracking your bills helps you stay aware of your spending habits]
  1. Pay for Your Purchases in Cash Instead of Credit:
    • Using cash makes spending more tangible. [Leave credit cards at home to avoid impulsive purchases
  2. Set Goals for Yourself Regarding Shopping:
  • Define clear goals, such as reducing spending by a certain percentage each month. [Having a purpose helps you stay focused]
  1. Make Changes in Your Daily Routine:
  • Replace shopping with other activities. [Engage in hobbies, exercise, or spend time with loved ones to fill the void]
  1. Develop New Hobbies (that Are Less Expensive):
  • Explore activities that don’t involve spending money. [Consider reading, gardening, or volunteering]
  1. Block Certain Websites on Your Internet:
  • [Use website blockers to prevent access to online shopping sites during vulnerable moments]
  1. Ask for Help from Trained Professionals:
  • Consider therapy or counseling. [Trained professionals can guide you through behavioral changes and coping strategies]

Remember, you’re not alone in this journey. Seek support from friends, family, or support groups. Addressing your shopping addiction will lead to better financial health and overall well-being.

KINDLY CONSULT PSYCHIATRIST, CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST FOR DIAGNOSIS AND HELP
Regards,
Moinuddin Biyabani.

1 Heart

Hi @cbawks1

Thank you for sharing your experience with your shopping addiction. It is very challenging to feel the shame and guilt of compulsive buying on top of the anxiety and depression associated with it. Have you ever pursued professional help for this?