Struggling with my temper again and I can’t blame it all o

Struggling with my temper again and I can’t blame it all on bipolar any advise folks because I don’t like being bullied or screwed over and unfortunately I am just walking around with a giant life long kick me sign it seems that I can’t get rid of and I loose my cool sooner than later and I don’t want to be that person.

I have the opposite problem that you do. I have the same lifelong kick me sign, but I never stand up for myself. I just take it like a beating then feel bad about it for the rest of my life. There's a fine line between standing up for yourself and losing your temper. Can you feel yourself switch from one to other? Is there any moment when you have a choice? For example, if someone is yelling at me and I feel myself start to cry, there's a split second and if I seize it, I won't cry. If I don't stop myself immediately, I would likely have tears. Is there a point where you feel anything like that with loosing your temper?

Thanks that may help because yes I can feel the change or sometimes even the build to the change before I lose it and your saying do something different stop it there and No for the most part I don’t think I have ever really tried to actively stop the switch on a consistent bases for sure.

1 Heart

@ndbassett Oh good, I’m glad that might be helpful. Yeah, if you feel it building or like you’re about to lose your temper, try walking away. Or pick a phrase to say and end it so you can end the confrontation (at least for that moment). I’ve heard people say, -I’m taking a walk, I’m going out for fresh air, agree to disagree, let’s finish this conversation later… those are just examples… I usually say nothing and leave… but like I mentioned I’m a punching bag for jerks. From the sound of it, I think you’re going to learn to control it since you are aware of the change leading up to it. All we can do is try to do a little better everyday.

From Mood Disorders to Bipolar Disorder