Unsure of major

I’ve been working with a vocational counselor since the end of last year after I got my Associates degree in Education. I decided to switch majors to Psychology and now, my counselor keeps asking me why I switched majors and if I really want to study Psychology because apparently jobs in the field are very difficult and mentally and emotionally draining. I’ve always been interested in Psychology, I’ve watched tons of videos and read a bunch of articles on it. I just never really thought about studying it until now because it requires too much school. i’m a very empathetic person but I know there’s a wide range of behaviors I’ll have to deal with and knowing my personality and getting overwhelmed and stressed easily, I don’t know if I can handle it. I don’t really have anything else I’m interested enough in to want to find work in.

1 Heart

Do what your heart desires. You don’t have to rely on people’s opinions as to why you made that decision.

1 Heart

I know, it’s just that he keeps saying that I haven’t worked a real job before (I’ve had lots of volunteer experience) and I’m already in my 20’s and that maybe this isn’t a good first job to have, like working with mental illnesses and stuff. I feel like maybe it would be better to do an easier to manage counseling job.

If this will be your first time, then I don’t think it matters. If you have more knowledge about mental health, I’m sure you’ll do fine.