Stressed

My mom got upset with the fact that I’ve failed 2 exams, but somehow I was able to pass 3 more, so nothing worse happened. Have any of you all failed exams when you were college/university students?

2 Hearts

Yes! If overall your grades are good, sometimes failure is just part of the experience.

2 Hearts

I get it, but somehow failure just makes me go on full crappy mode. Fortunately, I just found out that I’ve passed another exam, which is a relief since I’ll be retaking only two more, then I’ll be fine.

You can’t be brilliant at everything is kind of how I live my life.

2 Hearts

True. I expect myself to be good at anything, regardless if I have no knowledge about things, but still want to be the best of the best.

Yyyyup. If anything, it just showed me where to shore up my review and studies. Instead of being hard on yourself if you fail, take it as a learning experience about what you should spend extra time in.

1 Heart

Definitely. Good to know it’s a common thing for students to fail and fail exams, until they pass. Thanks for all the support, guys. Means a lot.

I get it, I am a type A person too, it makes me so upset when I can’t measure up, but in college I was so bad at math, but I stuck it out and managed a B, so sometimes you fail and sometimes you muddle a pretty good grade.

1 Heart

No problem. Even now, I had an exam last week that was open note and I learned that if it wasn’t open note, I would have had to retake it. All that told me was where to focus on studying. Just approach it that way. Knowing that you’re doing exactly what you’re there for and exams are nothing but a way to gauge how much of a grasp you have on the subject so you can determine how much time to give to studying that area.

1 Heart

I had a really bad professor in college and didn’t understand the material in classes that I had him for.
He didn’t lecture/teach anything. He just told us to read the book and do the assignments. That doesn’t work for my learning style. I ended up not doing great on the assignments and almost failing the classes but I had other people in the class help me. All my work for my degree was project related.

And how are you holding up?

Damn, you sure were a heck of a brilliant student. Impressive, I must say.

What grade are you? Are you almost done graduating college/university?

Not at all! OMG I was just bound and determined to graduate! Also, soooooooo much tutoring!

1 Heart

I still count as a massive achievement. Even if you were horrible at first, somehow you were still able to challenge yourself with determination. You’re a smart person!

1 Heart

Yeah, what @CKBlossom said: there will be failures in life. Learn from them and move on.

I was strictly a B+ / A- student - good, but never brilliant. My dad used to complain at me for not trying hard enough. After a couple of years of university I dropped out and got a job. After a year of that I went back to the U part time and paid my own way - still B+ / A- but a whole lot less stressful, and I still got my degree. People learn in different ways and at different rates. Don’t give yourself a hard time just because you’re not a genius. It sounds like you’re doing fine.

2 Hearts

There isn’t a grade per se. I’m about 3 months into an accelerated certification program for cyber security.

2 Hearts

Agree 100%

1 Heart

Reading comments gave me a relief, knowing that it’s going to be fine. Thank you all!

1 Heart

Life does not come with guarantees, but everything you have described sounds well within the “normal” range from my perspective. Most of us have to go through a certain amount of $#!t, and (having chatted to you on-and-off for a few years) I suspect you will feel better as your negative high school experiences fade into history.